• Coast Starlight Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jp1822

Another connection that Amtrak has lost over the years due to its scheduling changes, largely to accommodate extra padding while running on the Union Pacific rails. The Sunset used to arrive LAX at 6 a.m. or something like that, but that was per the printed timetable, in time for a connection with northbound #14 the Coast Starlight. Could such be revisited now that the Sunset is essentially truncated at New Orleans? It also used to connect with southbound #11, as the Sunset used to leave LAX at 10:30 p.m. or so. It had a late departure to try to grab connecting traffic off of the southbound Coast Starlight.

The bus is only like two hours or so from LAX to Bakersfield, its not that bad of a transfer and its a regular one. If you've taken the Coast Starlight before on many trips, the Bakersfield to Sacramento run may be something new to explore! Or take one train one way and the other train the other way so you can at least minimize one night of overnight in LAX. But not sure if there is a connection via Coast Starlight southbound on #11 to a connecting train southbound at Sacramento to Bakersfield and on to LA etc. This may be a tight connection or perhaps no connection at all, not sure. Otherwise, you could only do this heading northbound with the Baksersfield-Sacramento option.
  by pismobum

Sunset connections to 11/14 were DELIBRATELY broken by changing sunset arrival/departure times in LA. Connections were missed most of the time and it was regular busing to/from SLO and lots of transfers at Ontario. Cost was so prohibive (plus unhappy pax) that breaking the "guaranteed" connection was necessary
  by jp1822

Yes - the connection was deliberately broken, after it had existed for many years, just like the #14 to #28 connection at Portland. I certainly realize that. And I also realize that most of these broken connections (there's a lot more that have occurred since 2000) are due to freight RR capacity being at an all-time high and they have to deal with an Amtrak passenger train to dispatch over its rail. Thus, Amtrak can't run on-time per their printed schedules. Additional capacity on the railroads needs to be dealt with, as many on this forum have written about. I am impressed with BNSF's ambitions to try to stay ahead, to some degree, on its capacity (triple track through Cajon and nearly double track across its transcon etc.).
  by tomfuller

If the Southwest Chief arrives at Victorville, CA (VRV) before 9:20AM you can ride bus 4215 to Bakersfield (BFD) and the San Joachin to Martinez (MTZ) and be in Martinez at least 4 hours before the Coast Starlight gets there. There is also a bus that goes from Barstow over the Tehachapi Pass that connects in BFD.
I try to avoid LAX any time I can. I have no problem with the Amtrak busses in SOCAL and the San Joachin always seems to be within 7 minutes of on schedule whenever I have ridden it. Looks like you can save about $13 each way and avoid spending time in LALAland.
  by icgsteve

What I would do is drive to Sky harbor airpot, park for $10 a day, fly to LAX, use the shuttle service to the Amtrak station, ride the CS, then reverse. But you don't fly so how about the bus to LA?
  by icgsteve

steve in so az wrote:Don't think my 65 year old body would care to ride a bus long distance :) Steve
Being a true railfan requires sacrifice...If you were not a railfan you would not be trying to do a journey that Amtrak is actively discouraging. Riding Amtrak is difficult enough even when Amtrak is trying to help....
  by tomfuller

A four hour bus trip sure beats twentysome hours in Los Angeles for the connection to the Coast Starlight. These busses are rarely more than 3/4 full.
The Amtrak California busses outrank Greyhound's.
  by AlanB

Trains Magazine's News Wire indicates that the CS will once again detour over the Tehachapi loop on Jan 25th through the 27th in both directions.

And the following Service Alert from Amtrak would seem to confirm this, even though it doesn't directly mention Tehachapi:
Due to track work being performed by Union Pacific Railroad, Trains 11 and 14 will operate on an alternate route between Los Angeles and Sacramento and will not stop at the following stations:

Van Nuys, Simi Valley, Oxnard, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Salinas, San Jose, Oakland, Emeryville, Martinez and Davis

Southbound Train 11, which originates in Seattle on January 24 and 25, will not stop at these stations on January 25 and 26.
Northbound Train 14 will not stop at these stations on January 25, 26 and 27.
Alternate train or Thruway Motorcoach service is available to and from most of these destinations. Contact Amtrak for reservations and schedule information.

Train 11 — Earlier Arrival at Los Angeles

Train 11 will arrive in Los Angeles at 6:10 pm, approximately three hours earlier than the time shown in the published schedule. Contact Amtrak for up-to-date arrival and departure times.

Train 14 — Earlier Arrival at Sacramento

Train 14 will arrive in Sacramento at 9:30 pm, approximately two-and-a-half hours earlier than the time shown in the published schedule. Contact Amtrak for up-to-date arrival and departure times.

The train will depart Sacramento on schedule at 11:59 pm.

Thank you for traveling with Amtrak. We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience. For reservations and up-to-date arrival and departure times, visit Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
  by gprimr1

This is a really great ride, I highly recommend if anyone has the time and money.

If you do, be sure to inquire about if the train is stopping in Bakersfield. I remember that we were supposed to go non-stop from LA to Sacramento but we ended up stopping for 45 minutes in Bakersfield. If I'd known I could have gotten off there and met up with my parents, but I ended up going to Sacramento and meeting them the next day.

One thing I've been trying to figure out, when it does this detour, does the train have to back into Sacramento? I remember I wanted to see the engine because UP had to send a helper, but it was at the wrong end of the train than I expected.

My pictures from my trip over the loop
  by CarterB

Thinking about a RT "fun trip" on the Starlight Seattle/Portland and return.
Considering whether worth it for First class for the meals and Pacific Parlour.

Questions:
Would Breakfast be available/included in the SB trip?
Would you be able to get lunch in before arriving in Portland?
NB I assume diner would be available, but what about appetizers/wine tasting in the Pacific Parlour.

All in all, worth the extra $100 for the upgrade to first?
  by Vincent

Southbound there isn't any breakfast served, but you would get lunch. Northbound you'll get dinner. The wine tastings are usually done between Portland and Eugene, so you'll miss that, too. If you've never seen the Pacific Parlour Car you'd probably enjoy the experience. Maybe you could go first class on 11 to Portland and then come back to Seattle on 516 or 508 (the Talgos). The Talgos have business class seating, but it's nowhere near as nice as the Parlour Car. If you only go first class one-way I would recommend 11 over 14. The best scenery would be in the dark if you take 14.