Railroad Forums 

• CNZR - Griffin Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1303038  by Larry

CNZR finally received some used rail from MN yesterday, about 2000 feet of it that is jointed rail but is still in good shape. CNZR split the load in three places, halfway from Tobey Road to Cottage grove Road Bloomfield CT. The second splice was from Cottage Grove road along what is Savin Rd and the third piece up at the end of the line near Day Hill Rd crossing almost into Windsor. This track will replace some of the stick rail still on the line from long gone days. Actual instillation will not be to spring time 2015. This has been along time coming and it is a great sight to see for this railroad line.
 #1303042  by CVRA7

Probably getting rid of more of the old CNE Ry 79 lb rail - recognized by light-looking rail with 6-hole angle bars.
 #1328757  by Larry

Second shipment of rail coming to Griffin line today. Came up from New Haven (Waterbury Branch originated) by CSOR and handed over to CNZR. Much more this time then last fall and looks like 115lb rail. Some is to still go to NAUGY I was told. This is great news for this line as now almost the whole line will have updated rail. Now we need some ties! and some new ballast.
 #1328839  by NH2060

One branchline's "scrap" is another branchline's grail ;-)
Last edited by MEC407 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1329000  by Plate C

Happened to be at the crossing when they came through and dropped the rail yesterday. Stopped to watch them, and a lot of frustrated drivers who were blocked and rerouted around.
 #1329087  by bwparker1

FLRailFan1 wrote:Besides Home Depot.... what do they serve on Griffin? I heard they ship out used oil filters. Or did.
I believe it is only Home Depot at this time. Not sure where the used oil filters would have come from....
 #1449036  by Larry

Wintonbury Ave crossing in Bloomfield CT has new crossing signals installed and looks like line control box is wired up. Still waiting on the crossing gates to be attached to the arms of the signals. Looks great though and will come in handy for the freights heading north there and not have to slow down for the crossing.
 #1555335  by Ale Rider1

Long Time Lurker, First time Poster -

What is the future of the Griffin Line when Home Depot moves across the river to the state of the art facility served by the CSO? I know this is the Armory Branch thread - but both are operated by the CNZR.

Speaking of CNZR - they have had one customer for 20 years, is there any hope of getting business in Enfield?

AR1
 #1558261  by FLRailFan1

I thought HD was expanding to the new site and not closing the Bloomfield center. AJ needs to get a new customer for the Griffins branch...
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: UNNECESSARY QUOTING
 #1558284  by bwparker1

CSO will serve the new Home Depot Warehouse. The CNZR portion of that line does not begin until further to the north east in East Windsor, CT.

As for what happens with the Home depot building in Bloomfield, that is anyone's guess. I can't see both staying open long term in such close proximity.

- bwparker1
 #1559532  by FLRailFan1

I hope another rail served business will move into the HD warehouse. It'll be a great loss of business for Central New England. Griffin doesn't have any business except HD. The Armory has just the Fertilizer plant, if I'm not mistaken.
 #1559757  by Ale Rider1

20 plus years of trying for new business on both those lines and nothing happening. Doesn't look like anything will return to the CSO line to Manchester either.
 #1559774  by bwparker1

Ale Rider1 wrote:20 plus years of trying for new business on both those lines and nothing happening. Doesn't look like anything will return to the CSO line to Manchester either.
Do you know first hand how much “ trying “ these has actually been in developing new businesses on either line? Other than hearing about the Asphalt plant in Enfield, I’ve never heard of anything in terms of possible new development along either line. Just curious if you have first hand knowledge of anything.