Railroad Forums 

• CNJ train-the mermaid

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#529242  by Steam man

The 'original' Mermaid was a Scranton to Point Pleasant/Sandy Hook train that ran during the summers just before and after WW1. The most recent version of it was Raritan to Bay Head.

#529299  by transit383

From what I can recall, it was run 1973 and 1974 as a result of rising gas prices. Not exactly sure about those years though.

#529316  by BlockLine_4111

Didn't this train use the Mosquito and/or Chemical Coast Lines to arch the gap from RVL to NJCL? Was it a straight shoot or back upmove?

#529433  by ajt

Raritan-Bayonne; change ends; Bayonne-E'port, then Chemical Coast to WOOD; Coast Line to Bay Head.

#530491  by Ken W2KB

I rode it once, Manasquan to Bayonne West 8th. My only time on the part of the CNJ from E'Port to Perth Amboy.
 #1625527  by pumpers

For a bit of family history about trips to the beach, I am looking for a timetable or similar showing the Mermaid in the late 1930's to mid 1940's time frame (if there was one then). More specifically, I am looking for through service (probably on weekends) in the summer from points west through Elizabeth and Elizabethport to Asbury Park, meaning an all-rail route and not the steamboat from New York to Atlantic Highlands or Sandy Hook, etc.

I have found timetables that have trains originating in Jersey City (Communipaw) to Asbury Park and Bay Head (NY & Long Brach trains) heading south at Elizabethport, so if coming from points west you would have had to change at Elizabethport, but my understanding is that the Mermaid came from points west and then headed south at Elizabethport, so it was a "one seat ride".

EDIT: or, as described a few posts ago, from points west it went east to Bayonne, presumably picked up some passengers, then reversed to E-port and then down to Perth Amboy and on to Asbury Park, etc.

Thanks in advance, Jim