• CNJ Fest, SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 24, 2006

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by Trainbuff109

SUNDAY SEPT.24, 2006 10 AM - 5 PM
FREE ADMISSION
That's right, there will be a Central Railroad of New Jersey Festival this year (2006) to be held @ the beautifully restored CNJ Terminal building located at Liberty State Park, Jersey City NJ. NJ Turnpike exit 14-B.
This major event will feature a variety of exciting CNJ related activities.
* exhibits of CNJ photos and memorabilia
* large amount of railroadiana & models for sale
* movies of CNJ & other NJ railroads
* round table discussions about working on the CNJ by CNJ employers; with question and answer periods afterward.
* demonstrations of CNJ operating equipment by former CNJ employees
* model train layouts
* many transportation exhibits
* M of W track car rides along side Track #1
This is a non-profit event sponsered by Liberty State Park with assistance of several New Jersey historical railroad and model groups.

by blockline4180

I am surprised they are having it again this year. Attendance last year was very poor and there were only a few tables and vendors who attended.

by pgengler

blockline4180 wrote:I am surprised they are having it again this year. Attendance last year was very poor and there were only a few tables and vendors who attended.
I'm kind of surprised, too. I don't know how much of last year's (lack of) attendance was caused by the bad weather, though; hopefully it'll be nice this year and there'll be more people around (both vendors and visitors).
  by CAR_FLOATER

For any interested parties -

I just confirmed last night that I will be presenting a historical media presentation on the history, operations, and equipment of New York Harbor's operations from 1900 to 1976 for the 2006 Jersey Central Railroad Festival this year.
I will talk about railroading in and around the harbor, and the CNJ's role in it, using archival photos from my collection, most never published before.
While it is the CNJ Festival, I will still cover all the railroads that served NY Harbor.
I will also be bringing historical CNJ items from my collection for display as well.
I hope to see old friends and make new ones at the Festival later this month!
For updates on the Festival, please visit the CNJ 2006 Festival thread on the Railfan.net CNJ Forum at -
http://tinyurl.com/s2n24

CF

by metman499

Ralph, will this presentation be similar to the one that you gave at an NMRA meet two and a half years ago to the Garden State Central?

by GOLDEN-ARM

Aw, CF, sorry I gotta miss this one. Would have loved to hear you speak on the "waterfront", and would have loved to get a peek inside that vault, and the swag you are hording, up there............... :-D
  by CAR_FLOATER

Hi Nick -

I'm not sure if I am clear about the presentation you are talking about.....Where was it, do you remember? I have done a bunch of them over the last three years, but everytime I do this presentation, it is most assuredly different, as I am always adding to my collection, changing photos in and out of it, and learning more about the waterfront so I can in turn, talk about the waterfront. I hope you can make it, you don't think you will be dissapointed.

G/A -

You doth wound me kind sir!
Just for that cheap shot, expect a special e-mail so you don't continue to tarnish my good reputation! And yes, I did get the Esso ad, in Saturday's mail.

Ralph H.

by GOLDEN-ARM

The Esso ad??? NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

No "cheap shot", oh "Keeper of the Flag". Would have loved to see your take on the doings of the waterfront, especially all things with large Black Diamonds on them. Oh, to be foiled, in the last seconds of bidding, by a rogue, in a lighter, and tug.................... :P

by unclepeat

The secret is if you want to build up this great event. Don't advertise 2 weeks before. This a great event and the word should be spread as the dates are confimed. Let's spread the word!!!
  by CAR_FLOATER

Unclepeat -

I agree with you, a two week notice is not a "good sell" for something on this scale. Unfortunately, the people putting this together are volunteers who again, unfortunately have some people on their team who have dropped the ball for them. In fact, the gentleman who helped me with getting me involved (and did a great job I have to say) explained that the reason that no one, not just me, hadn't heard from anyone when sending e-mails inquiring about being involved in this year's Festival, was because the lead person dropped the ball. So as you can see, they are fighting an uphill battle. But the people who ARE hard at work, are trying to make it a success with what they have available to them, and from what I have been told, they are going to do a good job. I'll even go out on a limb and say that they are even going to make some improvements over last year's dismal showing. I think anyone who attends this year will be pleasantly surprised. I for one hope so, and I know I'm not alone.
But the real blame goes to the State of New Jersey and the Park Service. They have no idea, or more than likely, no care as to how to promote and support the people trying to make this a success. And it's a damn shame, because this could be something that they would actually have to turn people away from. But it takes dedicated people, and while it's not our "job", it is up to us, the fans, to really get the word out.

RH

by NJ Vike

Looking forward to going and seeing everyone there.

by CNJFAN

I went to the festival on Sunday and what a HUGE disappointment it was.
The last time I attended one was in 2002 and the 2 could not be compared.
There were few vendors and not that many people at all.
It was still nice to go to that historical terminal however.
I hope if there are any more in the future, there will be alot more advertisement.

by CJPat

I apologize if this sounds overly negative, but I too was disappointed by the "Festival" on Sunday. I arrived just before 11AM.

On the way in, I only noticed two signs on the entry road for the "Train show". I saw dozens upon dozens of signs for the "Boat Show" that will be going on next week. For the most part, the "Festival" was only a side attraction to the people headed to the Ferry.

I noted that there were 2 push train set ups for the little kids (that was good) and one nice HO layout on display. Otherwise the "Festival" was made up of about 8 or less vendors selling a variety of books, magazines, postcards, and other "novelty items". I picked up a couple of interesting books for my self. The event came across more as a flea market.

If there were any non-sales "events" (e.g. lectures, slideshows, or movies), I had no clue as to when or where they were to be held since there was no signage indicating their existence other than the sign that identified when the folk band was going to play (were they part of this event?). I departed after about 20 minutes after an hour long car ride.

I guess in my perspective, I was hoping to see more display boards up with pictures and information about the CNJ itself (there was one informative display showing buses and trolleys at one vendor's table.).

I grew up along the CNJ (Cranford) and it does hold a special place in my heart (as I am sure it does for many of you). I have learned much just reading through the various forums and threads on RR.Net as to the rich history in this state. Maybe I just had the wrong idea as to the purpose of the "Festival". If I do, I apologize. Maybe I was expecting more of a museum effect at that grand old Station.

by cjvrr

A large issue with this festival not working out very well was the poor advertising and short notice of the event. The speeder group I belong to was formally asked the week of Sept. 10 to provide people to set up for the event and give speeder rides outside. The notice was way too short, and we ran a huge motorcar trip in upstate NY the prior weekend. So we could not get anyone on such short notice to come out. If we had known the date back in May, June, July or even August, that might have made a difference to us.

Some in the speeder group, whom also belong to the CNJ group have decided to get involved in the 2007 festival as soon as possible. The first and second year of the event were outstanding. Students from Montclair University studying to be event planners were involved with set up and coordination. The Park Service was also heavily involved. Advertising was much better too.

If a 2007 Festival is held, I hope it is a great one.

Chris

by blockline4180

CNJFAN wrote:I went to the festival on Sunday and what a HUGE disappointment it was.
The last time I attended one was in 2002 and the 2 could not be compared.
There were few vendors and not that many people at all.
It was still nice to go to that historical terminal however.
I hope if there are any more in the future, there will be alot more advertisement.
Good thing I decided not to go this year! :(