Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

EJ&E buyer will meet with Metra

By Joseph Ryan | Daily Herald Staff

With Canadian National Railway agreeing to buy much of the Chicago
area's EJ&E railroad Wednesday, Metra's much-anticipated STAR Line
project linking the Northwest and West suburbs appears vulnerable..

Yet, CN and Metra officials say they plan to meet soon to go over how
the new line could run on or alongside the EJ&E tracks between Joliet
and Elgin.

Meanwhile, CN officials say no major layoffs are planned for the
EJ&E's 700 employees in a deal that should noticeably improve their
service through the congested Chicago rail system.

Metra's first suburb-to-suburb line is supposed to run down the
Northwest Tollway, I-90, to Elgin and then turn south to Joliet via
the EJ&E tracks.

The $1.25 billion project is in the planning stages and could be
online within a decade.

"We are aware of the STAR Line plan because we read the papers like
everyone else," said CN spokesman Jim Kvedaras. "But we don't have a
clear understanding of what it will mean for our operations."

CN and Metra have recently worked together on the expansion of the
North Central Line service between Antioch and Chicago.

Metra spokeswoman Judy Pardonnet said the agency had no written
agreement with EJ&E on the use of its tracks for the STAR Line.

"It is just way too premature," to talk about CN's impact on the STAR
Line, she said.

On Wednesday, CN agreed to pay $300 million to purchase the bulk of
the EJ&E from United States Steel Corp.

CN Rail has been praised by analysts as one of North America's most
efficient railways, but it has long acknowledged that Chicago is a
weak point where congested switching operations between its main
lines slows freight traffic to a crawl.

"With the congestion in Chicago, we can get from Winnipeg (Manitoba)
to Chicago faster than we get from north Chicago to south Chicago,"
said CN CEO Hunter Harrison. "So this can have a substantial impact
on transit times."

The tracks of the 198-mile EJ&E run around the outskirts of Chicago
and connect with all of CN's major lines running into the city. CN
plans to invest $100 million to upgrade sections of the EJ&E.

Analysts generally praised the deal.

"Price is probably fair if synergies are realized," Morgan Stanley
Research said in an analysts note.

Harrison said the deal should not lead to major layoffs and CN was
committed to giving any dislocated workers other jobs within the company.

The deal comes three weeks after Canadian Pacific announced it would
buy the Dakota, Minnesota & Eastern Railroad for $1.5 billion in
Canadian dollars, a deal that also increases CP's access to Chicago.

Montreal-based Canadian National now operates about 20,300 route
miles in eight Canadian provinces and 16 U.S. states.

CN officials hope the deal, which will be financed with debt and cash
on hand, will close by mid-2008. The takeover requires U.S.
regulatory approval.

by Tadman

WBBM 780 had a report on this today, and it doesn't sound positive for the STAR line. However I didn't pay much attention as I was quite busy. I did catch mention of DMU's under evaluation (in committee, not on tracks).

by Milwaukee_F40C

I don't think the star line is a good idea. Most of the J runs through very low density areas and it misses a lot of the centralized areas by a long ways. Sure there are lots of subdivisions being built around it, and still kind of far away, but I don't see them taking advantage of transit. Most of the big suburban offices aren't close to any of the Metra lines so the transfer idea doesn't work. Even along the I-90 proposed alignment a lot of buildings are set really far back from the highway or around roads like Golf Road. Serving them would take lots of bus routes. Even if they end up running eight car trains every hour that fill up, that will barely make a dent.

by doepack

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:Even along the I-90 proposed alignment a lot of buildings are set really far back from the highway or around roads like Golf Road. Serving them would take lots of bus routes. Even if they end up running eight car trains every hour that fill up, that will barely make a dent.
I agree, but know that construction-related delays on I-90 is causing long pockets of traffic gridlock during rush hours daily, and is only getting worse. As such, I believe there is a market segment that Metra can serve here, albeit a limited one. I'm not a big fan of the original concept either, especially with the suburban portion along the "J" alignment between Hoffman Estates and Joliet, that seems a bit wasteful to me. Among the original intentions for this project was to provide an alternative route for commuters in this corridor to jobs along the I-90 segment, but I don't think there's a very strong, sustainable market for that. Besides, the new 12-mile extension of I-355 to I-80 is going to be opening soon, and even though it's a little further east, it still serves roughly the same areas as the STAR line would. With that in mind, I think that motorists would be more inclined to stay in their cars; again, especially commuters heading to/from office parks along the I-90 corridor. But in this case, that's probably not such a bad thing.

A better idea, IMO, would be to scrap the N/S portion along the "J", and just keep the E/W alignment between O'hare and Schaumburg. The service should be revised to originate from either CUS or OTC, then running along Milw/NC trackage to Barrington Rd. in Schaumburg; branching off of North Central just north of O'hare, then continuing west. True, this portion of the project would require construction of a new ROW; but it shouldn't take more than a single track with sidings at strategic locations. Service start-up should be experimental in nature, during rush hours only, with further expansion possible should the ridership justify it...

by Tadman

Interesting points are made about how the EJ&E is not in a traffic-dense area yet, but it's worth pointing out that Chicago grew up around its railroads. If you look at most Metra stations built by legacy roads (think Homewood, Flossmoor, LaGrange, Bensenville, Des Plaines) the town has really grown around the station. With the incredible growth rate of the burbs, and the lack of density currently around EJ&E, does this mean the STAR line is the catalyst for the next development and the STAR is a smart investment for Metra to find an undeveloped area with fewer NIMBY's? If you think about matters this way, it's a transit/urban planner's dream come true.

by Milwaukee_F40C

I agree, if the Star Line does get built, there will definitely some development based around it. There always is with new transit projects. However, I think it would mostly serve people within walking distance around stations, that might be about a one mile radius. Beyond that, I can't see too many park and ride commuters. The commute would end up being car->train->bus. Lots of people do that on the exhisting lines but almost everyone is going to the loop and taking the train is pretty much a direct route. For people to take advantage of the Star Line they might have to commute out of their way for it, and suburb to suburb commutes are generally short as it is.

Chicago did grow around the railroads but that was when it was the only option. Since then a lot more people have made their choice of automobiles and built to suit that. I don't know how much longer that can continue but it will take a lot to change. People will have to make the decision for themselves. I think it's almost too late to change development patterns since so much of the area is already done. It could be at least five years before any Star trains run.
A better idea, IMO, would be to scrap the N/S portion along the "J", and just keep the E/W alignment between O'hare and Schaumburg. The service should be revised to originate from either CUS or OTC, then running along Milw/NC trackage to Barrington Rd. in Schaumburg; branching off of North Central just north of O'hare, then continuing west.
That is a good proposal. I wonder if there has been much thought in to creating a system of trunk lines. There seems to be quite a few options for that.

by EJ&ESDM809

I think the STAR line is a great idea. Not only would it link some of Metra's lines together, it would take traffic off the road, and believe me, I'm from Joliet, and traffic around here is awful. Route 59 is backed up pretty much almost always in Plainfield, and the EJ&E runs near 59 all the way from Plainfield to Barrington. Maybe you could extend the line from O Hare to one of the downtown terminals and keep the EJ&E part in it, plus if you did that, people in towns like Plainfield, Warrenville, and other towns along the EJ&E that don't have Metra now a easy way to get downtown. The towns along the EJ&E are growing quickly and traffic on the roads is just going to get progressively worse as I just don't see the growth stopping anytime soon.

by doepack

Metra to CN: We want the EJ&E too!!

http://www.ble.org/pr/news/headline.asp?id=21557
  by Milwaukee_F40C

If the state were to put restrictions on the J like that, I would see it as a huge violation of private property, similar to eminent domain. These Ill-inois politicians are going to screw the entire railroad for a horribly thought out infrastructure plan that isn't even close to being a distant reality.

First of all, the feds won't put up any money without matching state funds (or maybe they will...) and if the state is going to come up with money for this thing without even taking care of the existing systems, among all the other garbage the state is pissing money away on >_<.

The route itself is horrible. The J still runs through the middle of nowhere (Eola, Spaulding, Wayne, Munger, and the proposed tollway alignment), and if commuter trains came out of pixie dust tomorrow who is going to build "tansit friendly housing developments" at this time to take advantage of it? Who is going to use the system other than the people who (would theoretically when the houses are even built) live within walking distance of the stations? For most people to ride the line it would mean triathlon commutung (car, train, bus) to go within a distance that is most likely more convenient to just drive. The line would need all kinds of connecting service like buses out to the Fox Valley and Golf Road and more rail branches to attract riders, and now we're talking more money that won't ever come.

But this "mandated commuter corridor" thing is just an excuse to keep the J out of CN's hands.

By the way, I'm leaving California in the Midwest as soon as I have some paper.
  by doepack

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:But this "mandated commuter corridor" thing is just an excuse to keep the J out of CN's hands
Absolutely, and coupled with the intense NIMBY opposition, it's no wonder CN is now having second thoughts about the purchase. As I stated earlier in this thread, I'm not a big fan of the proposed route structure either, and yes, it would need CTA and/or Pace connections at nearly all of the stations for it to even have a chance to work. Go ahead, hold your breath waiting for Springfield to foot the bill for that. You'll be waiting forever...

Back to the NIMBY's: As I understand it, they aren't totally against the extra trains per se; rather, their main issue is the potential loss of property value due to the increased noise generated by the additional train traffic that would go through Barrington and surrounding areas should the deal go through. Given the current problems of America's housing market, it's a legitimate concern, one that CN hasn't really addressed properly. Another thing: I still don't know how they would ensure delays to Metra service on the Waukesha (NCS), Harvard, Elgin, Geneva (UP/W), and Joliet subs would be kept to a minimum, since all five of these intersecting routes are crossed at grade, and four of them are busy, full service Metra lines. Definitely going to need a freight curfew, plus perhaps the reactivation of the old tower at the J crossing in Barrington may also have to be considered. And with the deal now looking iffy at best, on the off chance that CN does get the J, JB tower in West Chicago could REALLY get busy...
  by Tadman

I used to work down the street, and I've passed Jay tower many times. UP/CSX is elevated through town through the north half (basically from just north of Jay Tower to just north of Joe Orr Road). I wouldn't be surprised if it gets elevated another 1/2 mile to go over EJ&E, thus eliminating Jay tower interlocking. That's pure speculation on my part.