Railroad Forums 

• CN carman apprentice

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#883136  by [email protected]

Hello all, I am going to get having an interview with CN next week for a Carman apprentice position. I have been reading alot on the railroad worklife and was wondering if this was a position where i have the possibility of being furloughed alot. I currently work in construction and am trying to get a more stable career. I have read on the forums about how people get hired and trained only to be furloughed. Also any general advice is much appreciated! Thanks
 #883834  by COEN77

That's a tough question. Furloughs are possible just not sure about a carmen. I've seen them furloughed in tough times during business reductions. It's not a craft where they hire a lot of people. I'd feel more secure in that craft than hiring out as a trainmen. Carmen do everything from brake test on trains to repairs on freight cars. With the railroad you just never know anything is possible. Hope this helps.
 #1239556  by bgray0051

i never worked for the railroad till i started working for Norfolk southern as a Carmen this is not a none furlough or lay off job i have been here for 21/2years just found out before Christmas 2013 i was being furloughed. if you talk to the older guys they have been furloughed many many times some as many as 21 times in a 30 year career. you will earn your rail road retirement from all the times you about loss your house working other jobs tell they call you back. and the money and benefits will keep you coming back. get ready for one hell of a ride.
 #1249231  by trvr815

The railroads in a second coming. There really should not be anything to worry about. However this does depend heavily on your location.