• Closed towers still standing on the LIRR

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Legio X

What towers, though closed, are still standing on the LIRR, from one end to the other of Long Island?

by emfinite

Towers (and cabins) still standing, but not in use are B, F, Harold, Locust, M-Cabin, Garden Cabin, and Bliss (which I believe is rarely used and not always manned).

by Indiana_Doc

Wow, the LIRR got rid of Harold? Where have I been :(

Its hard keeping up when you're living in Indiana. Is Harold being controlled by Penn Station control or Jamaica? Also is the LIRR moving towards CTC?

Indiana_Doc

by emfinite

Harold is controlled by PSCC.

by Johnny F

I'm pretty sure Port is still standing.

by Long Island 7285

Locust, Bliss, & Beth towers all OOS(Bliss may be used on ocations) All standing
Last edited by Long Island 7285 on Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

by emfinite

Good call, Port is still there. That one didn't cross my mind since I don't ride the Babylon branch.

by BobLI

what about Van tower in flatbush ave?

by bluebelly

BobLI wrote:what about Van tower in flatbush ave?
Yea it is still there. Not exactly a tower though, more like a hole in the wall with a door.

by robertwa

Does F tower count?

by LIengineerBob

F Tower is an Amtrak tower, and is technically on Amtrak property. :wink: Cabin-M, although seldom used, is still in service for when the bridge needs to be opened on the Montauk cut-off secondary, leading into Yard A. Garden TOwer (cabin) was thown down many years ago, right after the interlocking at Garden went remote control from Queens.

by Johnny F

Off topic, but I can't help but notice the difference in the condition of the right of way between both photos of F tower. I notice it quite a bit with old / new photos. The right of way always seems so much cleaner, less debris and free of vegetation in the older photos. Did the rail road have a special program to handle this in the past? Or was the world just a lot neater in the old days?

by Jersey_Mike

I thought that HAROLD was open on an as-needed basis ie when PSCC takes a dump or there's some sort of MoW issue.

by Dave Keller

I was advised of the following:

The old HAROLD tower was placed out of service in July, 1990.

The new HAROLD tower was placed in service July, 1990 and the old tower was demolished thereafter.

The new tower was placed out of service in 1995.

The HAROLD interlocking remotely controlled from PSCC was placed in service in 1995.

Anyone have anything more "official" on this from actual G.O.s? Specific dates?

Dave Keller