Railroad Forums 

• Civil Engineers

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#32339  by Trains

I am currently a high school student and am considering a major in civil engineering. I was wondering what kind of job opportunities are available on the railroads, what the working conditions are, and any other useful information. Thanks
 #32552  by necnomad

There are opportunities in railroad construction for civil engineering grads. That's exactly what happened to me! There are a number of railroad contractors (outside contractors that the railroads hire to do construction/maintenance work that their own crews are not able to do) in the NYC area that do work on everything from transit to commuter rail to freight. I'm an entry level grad who's been at work for about a year now. My company's website is www.bbri.com check it out.
 #32747  by Trains

Thanks for the information. May I asked what college you went to? Also, what is the curiculum like for a major in civil engineering? I would like to work in the New England area but anywhere in the Northeast is fine.
 #32875  by necnomad

I'm a graduate of the civil engineering technology program from the Rochester Institute of Technology. Essentially the program deals with practical, real world based engineering/construction topics. There is also a one year co-op requirment (divided into 3 blocks) to get on the job experience, which was a tremendous help for me.

#32957  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Trains, depending on where you live, North Eastern Universtiy in Boston is like the same type of collegge that necnomad went to. NEU has the co-op program also

#33452  by thirdrail

Many railroad executives have civil engineering degrees. At one time, most railroad management had a degree in either civil or mechanical engineering. The civil engineers started in the roadway and track department while the mechanical engineers started in the car or locomotive departments. Of course, when there were 100 Class I railroads instead of 7, there were far more opportunites for advancement.

When looking for employment, don't overlook the short line railroad industry, as these days firms like Genessee & Wyoming Industries and RailAmerica and the others have engineering staffs as well. If you can stay employed with a railroad all you life you'll find that Railroad Retirement will keep you living in the style to which you have become accustomed.

#34236  by Ken W2KB

>>>Also, what is the curiculum like for a major in civil engineering?<<<

For example see engineering college websites. Like:

http://hex.njit.edu/cocoon/eCatalog/und ... _U/Civil_S

My undergraduate degree was from NJIT I.E., but was friends with the CEs.
 #113789  by Trains

Thanks, I was accepted into the college of engineering with a major in civil engineering at both the University of Maine and the University of Delaware, so we'll see how it goes from here.