• Circus train 1954 ID the unloading location?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by FrankAndCindy

Hello everyone, I think the location is a spur between Nassau tower and the Garden Mitchel Secondary. Thanks Frank and Cindy
  by tomdoyle409

My recollection is that the circus tent(s) were erected nearby, on what was then vacant land located at the northeast corner of what was (still is) Courthouse Drive and 11th Street. This was the site of the early 70's era Nassau County Social Services building, which I believe has since been demolished.
  by krispy

How did they get there? Via Mineola, or Garden Interlocking? That area was called the Fairgrounds waaaaaaay back, and the 4 tiered big barn at Bethpage Restoration is a replica of one that stood in that area. That must have been one of the last moves on that track, didn't it come up in that era? TIA...
  by tomdoyle409

The train came in via Mineola.

In the early 70's I worked at a bank that was headquartered at 1401 Franklin Avenue, which is on the east/northbound side.

Immediately behind this building was an industrial building on a side street that parallels Franklin Avenue, which my employer had acquired, and the tracks behind it had already been removed. At the time the Bloomingdale's store, which is now Sears, or perhaps something else, had opened and its parking area covered what had been the right of way.

Please excuse my giving you such a tentative answer.
  by nyandw

tomdoyle409 wrote:The train came in via Mineola. Yes
In the early 70's I worked at a bank that was headquartered at 1401 Franklin Avenue, which is on the east/northbound side.
Near the current Nassau Police Dept 1490 Franklin Ave, parallel west from Court House Dr.?

Immediately behind this building was an industrial building on a side street that parallels Franklin Avenue, which my employer had acquired,

current Kellum Place? and the tracks behind it had already been removed. At the time the Bloomingdale's store, which is now Sears, or perhaps something else, had opened and its parking area covered what had been the right of way.
Just south at Franklin Ave and 11st. Please excuse my giving you such a tentative answer.
Most helpful. Thank you.
  by tomdoyle409

nyandw wrote:
tomdoyle409 wrote:The train came in via Mineola. Yes
Near the current Nassau Police Dept 1490 Franklin Ave, parallel west from Court House Dr.?

When I was there, the NC Police were headquartered in what was then referred to as the "Old Courthouse", and the address of 1490 Franklin Avenue would be about right.

Immediately behind this building was an industrial building on a side street that parallels Franklin Avenue, which my employer had acquired,

current Kellum Place? Kellum Place is correct.

and the tracks behind it had already been removed. At the time the Bloomingdale's store, which is now Sears, or perhaps something else, had opened and its parking area covered what had been the right of way.
Just south at Franklin Ave and 11st. That's it.

Please excuse my giving you such a tentative answer.
Most helpful. Thank you.