Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LIRRNOVA55

Was over at the hosital today with Barry and 2 other friends of mine and walked the ROW's. Thought i would post a few shots i snapped.

South Colony Platform

North Colony Platform

The only tracks left at one of the crossings.

ROW looking twards the plant

whats left of the plant

Last one. Notice anything? thats the ball field statium, the roof is built from 40lb rail. possibly from a trolley line.

- Paul

by mainline

I was also there today. Environmental remediation under SCDHS supervision. The power House still has asbestos. A lot of drywells to clean up. Months ago concrete supports for track for coal delivery to power house was removed.

by MACTRAXX

Guys-As I live just a couple of miles away,I just missed out on the demolition of the smokestacks-finding out just hours after they came down-I would have gone out of my way to watch it. Is the powerhouse next to go?-or can it be used in some way? Good shots of the CISH ROW. Did you walk all the way from the current CI rail all the way down to the powerhouse? Interesting stuff! MACTRAXX

by LIRRNOVA55

i have walked the entire ROW. i got 35 photos but im waiting for my new URL for a abandoned lirr site im working on to post them all. The poerhouse will come to to eventually.

by mainline

Powerhouse is definitely coming down. Not sure when. Just look for the big dust cloud. I don't know if I'll still be on site when this occurs. I'll try to find out.

by LIRRNOVA55

mainline wrote:Powerhouse is definitely coming down. Not sure when. Just look for the big dust cloud. I don't know if I'll still be on site when this occurs. I'll try to find out.
yes, please do!

by alcoAL

The lioddities.com website has forums for all the LI hospitals. There's this link below for the CI hospital. See the thread "The Powerplant New Pictures" for great photos of the ongoing demolition.

http://www.lioddities.com/board/viewfor ... 921d3aa1b9

by LIRRNOVA55

Yup, LIoddities is a great site, with a forum for LI Rails to ( i happen to be the moderator there :-D )

by Long island Joe

LIoddities has great online radio show tuesday at 8pm