• China plans high speed network

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by george matthews

http://en.chinabroadcast.cn/3130/2006/0 ... 107432.htm
A new Shanghai-Nanjing railway line and another between Shanghai and Ningbo will be completed by the end of 2010, allowing trains to travel between the cities at high speed.

Express passenger lines will connect cities in the Yangtze River Delta region to other major cities including Beijing, Wuhan and Shenzhen, said Zhang Jianping, deputy director of development and planning for the Ministry of Railways.

Zhang also said other upgrading efforts include the electrification of current rail links, the construction of hubs in Shanghai and Nanjing, a double-deck container transportation network and links between ports and cities in the delta.

The 300-kilometre Shanghai-Nanjing rail link, when completed, will have a designed speed of 250 kilometres per hour.

The 305-kilometre express passenger line between Shanghai and Ningbo via Hangzhou will allow trains to travel at least 200 kilometres per hour, with the highest speed 350 kilometres per hour.
No comment is necessary.

by frank.fu

Hello guys. I just registered here as a memeber. And I like this forum, you guys even talked about something about HSL in China, even it is called as "CRH,1,2,3,4,5" in China. But the information in this post is tooo old. Have you pay some special attention to the HSL in China now. There are 5 kinds of CRH running and will be running in China. And China is in a special high-way of railway development. And there are also thousands of rail-funs who pay attention and build many rail-forum like this. Maybe you guys can check those forum also, even it is in Chinese. Haha. Maybe I can help you to understand them. Haha. OK, see you.

And the other news is the CRH3 built by Simens will be put into operation sonner. It is a new bullet train in China. And it can run up to 350km/h. Maybe you can check it.

by RVRR 15

the information in this post is tooo old
Seeing that the date is 27.06.2006, I would believe that it should be, at the very least.

Of course, updates are always welcome.

by frank.fu

that is correct.

by David Benton

good to see someone form china on here , Frank .
you may want to post in the worldwide forum as well , im sure there would be many questions on general chinese railway operations .

by frank.fu

Hello David, yes, I just came here as the registered member. And sure, I love trains and I also work in this field. So I came here to know more friends who like trains. And because I found some topics here, So I wrote something here. And sure, I will write something in the worldwide forum as well as you said.
  by sunsetcc333

China's economy has slowed somewhat and they are planning a $700B infusion into the economy by improving its infrastructure. A large portion will go to improving their rail system. Several analysts say that in five years their rail system will rank in the top five in the world. We need to do the same to our country perhaps we can learn a little from the Chinese.
  by sunsetcc333

I am glad that some countries are reviving the rail and it is showing a lot of promise. It is cost effective, safe, green and a lot faster than before. There are trains that can travel as fast as 400kmh and carry a lot of passenger and use a lot less fuel than a jet. Also the technology has jumped by leap years--- GE has a locomotive that can generate generate over 6K hp and yet use 30% less fuel than its predecessors and at speeds over 180Kmh .
  by sunsetcc333

Sounds farfetched but several countries are already deep into it. The two problems are safety and miniturization. There should not be much problem in tackling that, Brazil and China are well into it.
  by george matthews

sunsetcc333 wrote:Sounds farfetched but several countries are already deep into it. The two problems are safety and miniturization. There should not be much problem in tackling that, Brazil and China are well into it.
Evidence?

Most rail in France runs on nuclear power.
  by sunsetcc333

George most rails in France do run on nuclear power which saves a lot of fossil fuel and air pollution. That's a good solution.
But their locomotives are not nuclear powered. Brazil and China are deep into this, look up the internet.
  by lpetrich

sunsetcc333 wrote:George most rails in France do run on nuclear power which saves a lot of fossil fuel and air pollution. That's a good solution.
But their locomotives are not nuclear powered. Brazil and China are deep into this, look up the internet.
sunsetcc333, could you please give us some URL's on that subject? I don't want to go on a wild URL chase, because I had already done so for nuclear-powered locomotives, and I could find little that was even halfway relevant or useful.

I'd considered that question myself in Hydro-Electric locomotive?? and I concluded that it is borderline feasible. This is because a nuclear reactor and its shielding have a certain minimum size that may possibly fit a typical locomotive width (about 10 ft / 3 m), and also because the smallest nuclear reactors have power outputs comparable to what's needed for a locomotive.

A locomotive reactor's heat would boil water, which would then drive the loco either in traditional steam-locomotive fashion or else in turbogenerator steam-electric fashion.

But back to the original topic, it's nice to see yet another nation get into high-speed rail and other improvements of its railroad infrastructure.
  by george matthews

sunsetcc333 wrote:George most rails in France do run on nuclear power which saves a lot of fossil fuel and air pollution. That's a good solution.
It's a profoundly silly idea.

I remember from the 1950s a children's comic, the Eagle, used to publish information about all sorts of things that would happen. One of them was a nuclear powered locomotive. At that time nobody knew much about nuclear power. It was before the world's first nuclear power station opened (at Windscale in northeast England).

Although I have seen a report recenty that someone has designed a mini-nuclear power station (nothing revealed about how it is supposed to work) this should not be in any vehicle moving about.
  by sunsetcc333

Yes most of France's electric trains are powered by electricity coming from their nuclear plants. But in our children or grandchildren's generation it will come from fusion generation, same type of energy that you see from the sun. Many countries are banding together to try to harnass this type of power--USA, Russia, India, France, Germany,Japan, South Korea,England and China. The sky is the limit once we master this.
  by sunsetcc333

Ipetrich, you can look up this topic of nuclear locomotive, just press search and you get it. But in thirty years in our sons, daughters, grand daughters or grandsons' generation most electric trains will be run by electricity coming from fusion reactors. If fusion is ever mastered which I think it will, it will be the most effective way of powering our electric trains.