• Catskill Mountain Railroad (CMRR) Discussion - 2014

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by map193

That's where the money belongs, for that trail and for the existing trails in Ulster County, not for building a rail trail on an existing corridor and displacing a volunteer group.I will give Ulster County credit for maintaining a nice network of rail trails on previously abandoned corridors.
  by thebigham

GREAT NEWS!

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-new ... in-repairs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Empire State Railway Museum in Phoenicia to build barn for train repairs

By Jay Braman Jr., [email protected]

Posted: 04/02/14, 1:00 PM EDT

PHOENICIA >> The Empire State Railway Museum plans to erect a large barn at the museum site on Station Road in which train cars will be repaired.

The museum has received a zoning variance to build a 96-foot-long, 40-foot-wide, 26-foot-tall barn over the railroad tracks that pass by the museum (the old Phoenicia train station). The new building will be used for the restoration of historic rail cars currently stored on the outdoor tracks.
  by charlie6017

Great news indeed..........thanks for posting the article, Chris! :-D

Charlie
  by O-6-O

"LaPierre noted the Empire State Railway Museum is a non-profit entity that has nothing to do with the for-profit Catskill Mountain Railroad but that the two have a “symbiotic relationship” because they share the tracks that run past the museum."

Thank you Freeman. This is well known and was the genesis for my comment about the CMRR "owning" the Lion Gardener which apparently upset some of you.
  by airman00

Yes great news indeed!! I am curious of a few things though... How many tracks make up the phonecia yard? And are the yard tracks CMRR trackage?
  by eehiv

Saturday, April 5th

In Phoenicia, George Peck will lead a crew starting at 9:30am at Phoenicia Station doing track repairs and equipment maintenance.

In Kingston, Mark Glaser will be working in Cornell Street yard starting at 9:30am. He will be leading a crew replacing windows on the south side of the car, and doing trackwork to open the line for the season.

Sunday, April 6th

Ryan Lennox will lead a crew cutting brush starting at 10am Sunday at Hurley Mountain Road (MP 6) working west. Bring brush cutters, weed wackers, chain saws, and shovels for culvert/drainage maintenance.

Cornell Street will be open if requested. See Earl Pardini.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by thebigham

O-6-O wrote:"LaPierre noted the Empire State Railway Museum is a non-profit entity that has nothing to do with the for-profit Catskill Mountain Railroad but that the two have a “symbiotic relationship” because they share the tracks that run past the museum."

Thank you Freeman. This is well known and was the genesis for my comment about the CMRR "owning" the Lion Gardener which apparently upset some of you.
The Lion Gardiner is the least of the CMRR's problems right now.

When the asbestos is removed from it, the ESRM will be paying for it. Not the CMRR...
  by Otto Vondrak

O-6-O wrote:"LaPierre noted the Empire State Railway Museum is a non-profit entity that has nothing to do with the for-profit Catskill Mountain Railroad but that the two have a “symbiotic relationship” because they share the tracks that run past the museum."

CMRR still doesn't own the LG, "air quotes" or not. Just setting the record straight for folks who take statements out of context and might misunderstand o-6-o's joke.

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

airman00 wrote:Yes great news indeed!! I am curious of a few things though... How many tracks make up the phonecia yard? And are the yard tracks CMRR trackage?
Just one track for now... You need to read Paul LaPierre's comments at the end of the article which correct many of the reporter's mis-statements.

-otto-
  by O-6-O

Otto Vondrak wrote:

CMRR still doesn't own the LG, "air quotes" or not. Just setting the record straight for folks who take statements out of context and might misunderstand o-6-o's joke.

-otto-
Joke? Wasn't making a joke just a point. Yes Otto EVERYONE is aware that the CMRR does not actually own the LG. My air quotes as you say were used

in the ironic sense. The LG IS in the way of their quest to push west and it's not welcome in the city of Kingston so in that sense they "own" the

car. Simple really. Last I'll type on the subject. If it's not understood by the reader by now it never will be.
  by eehiv

Saturday, April 5th

In Kingston on Saturday, 4 additional windows were installed in coach 2940 by a restoration crew led by Jim Bruck and included Rick Desir, Jesse Gabron, and Freddie Rasmussen. A track crew continued repairs west of Albany Ave. installing cribbing and a small stone retaining wall. A tie was added and part of the repair was tamped. Participating were: Dave Hilliard, John Marino, Bob Blake, Tom Whyte, John Patane, Tony Bochinno, Jesse Gabron, and Mark Glaser.

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=215012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In Phoenicia, work continued on track near the station. The crew included George Peck, Art Vogel, Dave Hilliard, Dave Cenova and Neil Remsen.

At Mt. Tremper, Al Johnson did work on Coach 702.

Sunday, April 6th

Ryan Lennox led a crew clearing brush and trees from the ROW from MP 6 to MP 6.3. The crew included Billy Stewart, Chris Cole, George and Harrison Balduf, and Tyler Carelli. See our facebook page for photos.

John Patane worked in Cornell Street yard.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

Saturday, April 12th

In Phoenicia, George Peck will lead a crew starting at 9:30am at Phoenicia Station doing track repairs and equipment maintenance.

Also in Phoenicia, Al Johnson will be working on flat car 35111 starting at 9:30am.

In Kingston, Mark Glaser will be working in Cornell Street yard starting at 9:30am. He will be doing trackwork to open the line for the season.

Also in Kingston, Jim Bruck will lead a crew completing the new window installation on the 2940 starting around 10am.

Sunday, April 13th

Cornell Street will open at 10am. Jim Bruck will be leading a crew finishing up work on the 2940, and a track crew will also be formed.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by tj48

Being from Long Island and have ridden those coaches a lot I was wondering what windows are you installing? Something that opens or just replacing the existing window panes. I know some of those coaches windows towards the end were getting pretty scoured by I'm guessing the car washing equipment.
  by jmarino

CMRR opening day Sat. April 19 in Kingston , stop bye for a great Easter ride and egg hunt at Kingston see web site for details