Railroad Forums 

• Catenary on your layouts

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#32325  by blueduck577

Who has catenary strung above their layouts? Currently, I am working on stringing up the catenary, and I'd like to see how other people do it.

My poles are made out of popsicle sticks (readily available, will replace with plastruct poles later). I then strung a piece of wire across to both poles 3" above the railhead. I put insulators on the wire (tiny black beads I got at a craft store). I bent some wire into a V-shape for the steady rods and I soldered one side of the V to the steady span. I also put some suspension insulators and supporting wires up.

I made my actual wire on a piece of plywood with several nails on it to provide tension as well as keep the wire straight. I soldered my auxilary and trolley wire together while on this jig. I then slid the wire into the steady rods and soldered the other sides. After that, I soldered a messenger wire right under the suspension insulators, and made hangers that clipped under the auxilary wire like a hook and soldered them to both the messenger and auxilary wires.

My first section of wire is done. I will take pictures once I pick my new camera (later today).

I was wondering how you other people did it. If you have pictures of your layout, post them or at least link to them.
 #32460  by Paul Cutler III

Might I suggest, blueduck, that you check out this month's Model Railroader? Rick Abramson's layout has excellent New Haven catenary.

www.modelrailroader.com

In fact, check out MR's magazine index and search for catenary. When you get a list of magazines you like, visit your local library.

My club's catenary, which was for trolley, was made of brass rod with threaded ends. Nuts and washers set the height of the poles (painted green like Boston's MTA), and wire was strung across pairs of poles. We then used commerically available wire brackets for catenary to string the wire. And all this was live overhead.

#40935  by blueduck577

For anyone who is keeping track, I tore down the popsicle stick poles and remade them with old code 100 rail and span wires. Half of the layout has poles now, with the other half coming along. I've decided that I am going to use thicker wire for the catenary than what I was using, so I can build the catenary right onto the poles.

#40954  by Otto Vondrak

Instead of using Code 100 rail, consider using brass structural shapes... readily available from many hobby shops in convienent sizes of square stock.

-otto-

#41059  by blueduck577

Maybe. I am temporarily removing the poles from the layout so I can add some scenery to the area.

#43535  by Acela82

A friend of mine has built a North East Corridor Module with real catenary:

#43649  by Otto Vondrak

Nice looking catenary structure... looks like real Pennsylvania Railroad style poles and everything. Also like the 1970's Swedish prototype for the AEM-7!! (the x990 if I remember right?)

-otto-

#44100  by mlrr

Acela 82,

We definately need to set up a line of communication, lol. I really like how the layout has been done. Although it will be a while before I can even come close to something like that, it couldn't hurt to get tips and advice on catenary work and other things from time to time.

#44112  by Sean@Temple

http://astro.temple.edu/~mccomas/catenary.pdf

I found this pdf on this board somewhere and I wish I could say where, but in the interest of helping people out I have posted it so that everyone can learn. If anyone knows who originally posted this or the original writer and they want it off my site it is no problem.

Sean@Temple

#44232  by CRail

can you buy prefab catenaries and wires? Making your own seems like its quite the ambitious and eye watering project.

#45372  by sdsmillar

Model Memories produces New Haven and PRR style catenary. You can get them either assembled or as a kit. I believe they also build prefab wires as well.

their web address is www.info-4u.com/modelmemories

I'll be using their PRR style catenary for my layout when I get a better job and can actually afford to build a layout.

Stirling Millar

#45598  by blueduck577

Wow acela82, that catenary is amazing. I'd like to see more pictures.