Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by JoeG

Twice in the last week or so, I've gotten on PJ express train 53 and it was short a car. Considering that all these new Comet V's have arrived, why are they short? Aren't they increasing the total number of cars on the property, even if some old ones get retired? What am I missing here?

by transit383

I don't think the full Comet V delivery is complete yet. While all of NJT's cab cars have been delivered and placed in active service, there is still the matter of the restroom equipped trailers that should be arriving shortly. I do not know the status of Metro North's Comet V's.

This thread has some info you might find useful:
http://64.78.30.219/forums/viewtopic.php?t=268

by nick11a

I believe the all of the plain non-restroom MN Comet V cars have been delivered or are almost delievered. I also believe they have a handful of MN C5 cabs and will be all deliverd soon. They probably have to ship some more cabs and then start with the bathroom trailers for MN and NJT.

by JoeG

Even if all the new cars aren't on the property yet, isn't there a net increase in the number of available cars? I sent the same query to NJT. If they answer I'll post it.

by DutchRailnut

I don't know how many MNCR car are west of Hudson these days (old) but the new Comet V fleet will be 64 cars total. anyone have a breakdown of old cars how many of each ??

by nick11a

15 Cab cars
45 Trailers
5 trailers with toilets

http://www.njtransit.com/an_capitalproj ... ct050.shtm

by DutchRailnut

Thanks but I wanted a breakdown of the old cars.

by nick11a

DutchRailnut wrote:Thanks but I wanted a breakdown of the old cars.
Oh sorry Dutch. :) Your welcome anyway.

by nick11a

Oh, and I think today was MN Comet V day on the Morristown and Montclair/Boonton lines. I saw 6701 and 6706 today as well as about 10 trailers scattered on three different Hoboken trains. (One solid MN set, one MN set with NJT C4 cab and on mixed NJT 2M, 3, 4 set with MN cab 6706.)

by transit383

I wonder if the MTA C5s will venture out to the Newark Division being that they are now in mixed NJT sets....

by DutchRailnut

They may be temporary mixed but part of MNCR's operating agreement is to keep the MNCR fleet together and on port jervis line.

by nick11a

^I was wondering the same thing myself. But I doubt you'll see them on the Newark Div. So far they have been only in mixed sets on Hoboken Trains. I seriously doubt NJT will put them into NY but you never know. If they go into NY though, they can go anywhere but methinks they'll restrict them to Hoboken division non MidTown trains. It was quite neat though to see some of the people's reactions at Summit upon seeing a solid MTA C5 set. One old guy said to his wife, "Metro North Railroad. What the hell?" :)

by transit383

All it would take now would be to fit one of those mixed sets with an electric motor and run it on a MidTown Direct train and voila!, you've got MTA equipment running on the NEC. I think that some of these cars will stray over to the Newark Division, being that they are compatible with most of NJT's equipment. Not to mention that NJT isn't very good at keeping solid sets of C5s, so the MTA equipment may just wander around....

by nick11a

transit383 wrote:All it would take now would be to fit one of those mixed sets with an electric motor and run it on a MidTown Direct train and voila!, you've got MTA equipment running on the NEC. I think that some of these cars will stray over to the Newark Division, being that they are compatible with most of NJT's equipment. Not to mention that NJT isn't very good at keeping solid sets of C5s, so the MTA equipment may just wander around....
Sad, but true. But, think of the pictures! But having Metro North Cars in NYP will really throw NJT passengers in a loop!

by Irish Chieftain

G.O. wrote:All it would take now would be to fit one of those mixed sets with an electric motor and run it on a MidTown Direct train and voilà!, you've got MTA equipment running on the NEC
Hah. We've already been through that with the Comet IIIs in Metro-North colors. Did those ever do PJ runs before they were repainted as NJT, or did they stay on the NEC and Midtown Direct?