• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BandA

Make the locals cover any copayment (not covered by Feddybucks) to put the rails back between N Falmouth & Falmouth.

How many people use the rail trail to woods hole? I haven't been there in over 20 years, but the local roads looked narrow & windy & basically unsafe for bicyclists. So if you reclaim the woods hole branch alternate path for cyclists or rail+trail will be mandatory.
  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

TomNelligan wrote:
atlantis wrote:I agree! I haves said this before but in my humble opinion, the state should seriously consider rebuilding the Falmouth Line back to the abandoned investment at Falmouth station.
That would be great of course, but why stop there? The original Old Colony/New Haven line ran three miles farther to the Woods Hole dock and an across-the-street connection with the island ferries. Unfortunately, the line south of Falmouth was torn up by Penn Central in 1969, five years after the end of seasonal passenger service, and I assume that any attempt at reclaiming the right-of-way from the trail people now would be like kicking a hornet's nest.

The NHRHTA photo of Woods Hole below was taken in 1957 by William T. Clynes.
Unfortunately you will never see tracks back to Woods Hole as the Town of Falmouth purchased the 3.3 mile ROW way and built a bike path on it in 1976 and is now in flood zones at various locations. Also the Steamship Authority is building a new terminal building & ferry slips in Woods Hole as well, taking over all the areas where the RR used to be. The only possible scenario would be to bring the tracks back to the Falmouth station, which was just renovated last summer. The Falmouth RR station ( now a bus station ) area is a transportation hub with the main parking lot / new administration building for the Steamship Authority next door also loading buses to bring people to the Woods Hole ferries. Even still at best it would be a seasonal service like the Cape Flyer is, due too lack of revenue to fund it's year round service. The Cape flyer service was extended to October one year to see if it would be possible to extend it's season, but it ran at a loss after Labor day due too ridership dropping way off and was cancelled for the following years.
  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

bostontrainguy wrote:There will soon be an alternative:

https://www.newbedfordferries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also for our New York friends: https://seastreak.com/ferry-routes-and- ... -terminal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These fast ferry alternatives to the Vineyard and Nantucket have already been in place for quite some time now and they are only seasonal as well. If you check out the ferry options below you can get to the Vineyard and Nantucket from many alternate locations to avoid traffic congestion

https://seastreak.com/ferry-routes-and-schedules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by bostontrainguy

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote:
bostontrainguy wrote:There will soon be an alternative:

https://www.newbedfordferries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also for our New York friends: https://seastreak.com/ferry-routes-and- ... -terminal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These fast ferry alternatives to the Vineyard and Nantucket have already been in place for quite some time now and they are only seasonal as well. If you check out the ferry options below you can get to the Vineyard and Nantucket from many alternate locations to avoid traffic congestion

https://seastreak.com/ferry-routes-and-schedules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I know. I meant an alternative rail-to-ferry connecting service. Would be even better if that last station was built right at the State Pier as originally planned.
  by Backshophoss

Where does the Cape Flyer consist Lay up for the off season, or does MBTA use that set for other "Special" runs during the winter months?
  by RenegadeMonster

I don't think it always gets laid up for the the off season. Last year it did according to what I saw on NetTransit, but 2 years ago at least one car of the Cape Flyer consist ran on the North Side during the Winter Months.

Forget the car number, but it was wrapped in a Cape Flyer Promo all winter long and when I checked the number it was in fact part of the consist that summer.

They didn't appear to store it at BET last year. So curious as well as to where they will store it.
  by chrisf

Backshophoss wrote:Where does the Cape Flyer consist Lay up for the off season, or does MBTA use that set for other "Special" runs during the winter months?
I rode it to work a few weeks back. I don't think Keolis can keep enough equipment running to just park it.
  by Literalman

We tried to restore rail service but you vetoed the rail line for a bike path.
If you do say that, please remember that you might be talking to someone who voted to keep the rails. Virginia Beach voted against the Tide light rail extension, but it wasn't unanimous. Plenty of voters were for it. While I was visiting family in Virginia Beach last year, one of my cousins mentioned that she voted for light rail.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Backshophoss wrote:Where does the Cape Flyer consist Lay up for the off season, or does MBTA use that set for other "Special" runs during the winter months?
The bar car and bike car were delivered to Middleboro Facility yesterday, Trk5, for Mass Coastal to pick up for storage for the winter at Area 52
  by bostontrainguy

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
The bar car and bike car were delivered to Middleboro Facility yesterday, Trk5, for Mass Coastal to pick up for storage for the winter at Area 52
Would be real interesting if the MBTA tried using the bar car on one of it's longer busier commuter trips.
  by bgl

bostontrainguy wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
Would be real interesting if the MBTA tried using the bar car on one of it's longer busier commuter trips.
Or at least have cart service. Works wonders on the Metro-North and might generate decent revenue.
  by HenryAlan

I can't picture a cart working on a crowded commuter rail line. For that matter, it would be pretty hard for people to get to a bar car and back to wherever they hoped to sit. I would definitely advocate for officially allowing BYOB, and selling cans on the platform.
  by RenegadeMonster

HenryAlan wrote:I would definitely advocate for officially allowing BYOB, and selling cans on the platform.

Wait, what? CR is not already BYOB?

I have never drank on the train, but I have seen plenty of people do it. Lot's of people pre-gaming going to an event in Boston.

Also, one morning I saw someone down 4 bottles of bud light and stack them on the floor by the seat on the way into Boston, lol!
  by CRail

You are not allowed to consume alcohol in public in Massachusetts, MBTA vehicles* are not an exception (it's probably the case that Amtrak trains are not considered public space and so alcohol service is permissible). Enforcement is weak if the person isn't causing a problem but it is technically prohibited.

Regarding Henry Alan's point about carts, the carts mentioned before are on platforms not on trains. It's worth noting that Metro North no longer offers commissary service, which I regard as unfortunate. I'm a proponent of such service on trains and in stations. I think being able to enjoy refreshments during the commute home greatly enhances the experience and would give the railroad a leg up in competing with other modes, it is a big advantage realized by those served by the commuter boats.

*As mentioned later in this post, the commuter boats are MBTA vehicles which offer on board alcohol service and are therefor an exception.