Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by bellstbarn

I was glad to see The Cannonball speed through Wantagh about 5:03 this afternoon, drumheads front and rear, with 12 cars. It was a bit late, causing delays to Train 140, Train 1052 (announced as 10 minutes late), and Train 142 (announced as 6 minutes late). A few minutes later, WCBS said that Montauk trains were delayed by heavy passenger loading. The Cannonball seems to be carded to do Hunterspoint to Montauk in 167 minutes.
  by Amtrak7

bellstbarn wrote:I was glad to see The Cannonball speed through Wantagh about 5:03 this afternoon, drumheads front and rear, with 12 cars. It was a bit late, causing delays to Train 140, Train 1052 (announced as 10 minutes late), and Train 142 (announced as 6 minutes late). A few minutes later, WCBS said that Montauk trains were delayed by heavy passenger loading. The Cannonball seems to be carded to do Hunterspoint to Montauk in 167 minutes.
I got an email at 1649 that the Cannonball was running 14 minutes behind. To reduce the delays, the MTA has posted suggestions everywhere to board the second reserve/first coach car if people want to deboard at Amagansett.

2775 also struck a person "east of Babylon".
  by srock68

The most recent general notice says that for train 2798(Cannonball))will platform at the new 10 car marker.
  by SwingMan

srock68 wrote:The most recent general notice says that for train 2798(Cannonball))will platform at the new 10 car marker.

I wonder how the first Amagansett stop went..

I wonder if the RR is looking into running more Montauk trains and train 254 mid week-Friday as the lack of trains to the east end was clogging the RR up all week.
  by jhdeasy

bellstbarn wrote:I was glad to see The Cannonball speed through Wantagh about 5:03 this afternoon, drumheads front and rear, with 12 cars.
I see the name Cannonball no longer appears in the Montauk branch timetable online, although it is mentioned prominently in the details of the reserved seat extra fare Hamptons Reserve service.
  by SwingMan

jhdeasy wrote:
bellstbarn wrote:I was glad to see The Cannonball speed through Wantagh about 5:03 this afternoon, drumheads front and rear, with 12 cars.
I see the name Cannonball no longer appears in the Montauk branch timetable online, although it is mentioned prominently in the details of the reserved seat extra fare Hamptons Reserve service.
For a few years they had a special Hamptons/Montauk schedule in the summer. The 2005 version had a beach chair on it, and the later versions had the current Cannonball drumhead on it. It was also higher quality paper than the other ones, more like a magazine type paper. They stopped printing them 2-3 years ago.

The Cannonball name next to the train hasn't been there in many years, probably back to the early part of the decade. They also no longer note the Hampton Reserve service in the Montauk timetables, just online.

I'm still confused as to why the Hampton Reserve service isn't utilized year round, as well as on Sunday evenings and Monday mornings. It seems like one of those things that people would spend extra on, and it can't really hurt profits that much. Heck look at what the bar carts generate!
  by peconicstation

lirr415 wrote:
jhdeasy wrote:
bellstbarn wrote:I'm still confused as to why the Hampton Reserve service isn't utilized year round, as well as on Sunday evenings and Monday mornings. It seems like one of those things that people would spend extra on, and it can't really hurt profits that much. Heck look at what the bar carts generate!

Back in the early 1990's when The Cannonball name was restored (after being called The Montauk Light), and year round Friday service was also restored, a red stripe palor car ran year round.
In the "off-season" you did not need reservations, you paid the seat charge on-board, and it was in many ways a great secret (albiet it was mentioned in the time tables).

Once the C-3's entered service, the attraction of Hamptons Reserve service dropped off drasticly as the red stripe palor cars were comfortable as heck, as the seats reclined, the configuration was 2-1, and the seats were movable. Other than cup-holders the (2) Hampton Reserve C-3's seats are the same as every other C-3, the in-season Cannonball is popular enough the folks will spend the extra money for the reserve cars to ensure a seat. Prior to the C-3's, Palor Car service in-season, ran eastbound on Thursday and Fridays, and westbound Sundays and Monday mornings.

During the early 2000's an attempt was made to use Amfleet cars as a way to restore a true palor car type service, but the longer Amfleet cars could not navigate a number of turns along the LIRR.

Ken
  by dedm30junk

The problem was the amfleet cars could they run over the close nit crossover switches in the storage yard. They were afraid of a derailment. And the DM engines are not compatical with the amfleet cars no 27 pt jumpers for trainline service thats why the amtrak cars was not used. They wanted the train to operate from Penn Station to Montauk on Fridays and return on Sunday evening.
  by jhdeasy

dedm30junk wrote:The problem was the amfleet cars could they run over the close nit crossover switches in the storage yard. They were afraid of a derailment. And the DM engines are not compatical with the amfleet cars no 27 pt jumpers for trainline service thats why the amtrak cars was not used. They wanted the train to operate from Penn Station to Montauk on Fridays and return on Sunday evening.
Many Amfleet I cars have been modified by adding a 27 pin locomotive trainline, with appropriate receptacles, painted black, at each end of the car.
  by nyandw

Back in the early 1990's when The Cannonball name was restored (after being called The Montauk Light),
Was the "Montauk LIght" a named train on the published timetables? Thanks.
Steve
  by darthdoosh

I have a rather naive question if you don't mind... does the Cannonball go down the main or Atlantic line? I live a decent walk from the Valley Stream station, and it'd be nice to stroll down there and try to capture some pictures if it's a nice afternoon.
  by peconicstation

darthdoosh wrote:I have a rather naive question if you don't mind... does the Cannonball go down the main or Atlantic line? I live a decent walk from the Valley Stream station, and it'd be nice to stroll down there and try to capture some pictures if it's a nice afternoon.
Was the "Montauk LIght" a named train on the published timetables? Thanks.
Steve

To answer the (2) questions.

1. Yes, the name, Montauk Light was listed in the public timetables. The train itself followed what is now the off-season Cannonball schedule and ran from Memorial Day to Thanksgiving Weekends.

2. USUALLY, The Cannonball runs via the Montauk Line after Jamaica, so you would see it passing through Valley Stream. However it has been known to run via the Main Line and Central Branch
from time to time. If you are looking to photograph the train with it's drum heads they run on the Friday version only. The train itself runs Thursdays from MD to LD.

Ken
  by LIRR415 MOBILE

The Cannonball runs the Montauk all the way from Jamaica 95% of the time. It runs the Main Line every so often, usually if there is an issue on the Middle Montauk.
  by SlackControl

I've seen the Cannonball the past two weeks, and noticed it's only had 10 cars. Maybe my memory is tricking me, but in the past wouldn't it run with 12 cars all summer? Anyone with any stats know how crowded it's been? I saw 2718 head east through Babylon yesterday too and it was PACKED, both the top and bottom aisles, as well as each vestibule....PACKED! I didn't get a good look inside the Cannonball to be able to tell how packed it was, but is it only warranting 10 cars, or is there enough demand throughout the summer to call for 12 cars?
  by LIRR415 MOBILE

Between Memorial Day and July 4th weekend the Cannonball runs with 10~11 cars as this isn't the peak season. After that weekend it runs with 12 cars.