Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

Recent from Queens Village.

1.Anyone seen the other side sans the LIRR Dashing Dan logo, etc.?
2. What is the status, is this hack active?

Morris Park 01/22/2010
Garden City Storage: Steve Torborg
Sayville 1980

3. Anyone with a better photo of C66 in MTA? And while in service in original livery?

Thanks folks... Updating the caboose roster page:http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrcabooseroster.htm
  by DogBert

Is this the one at the mta transit museum at the moment? (RMLI owned)
  by Ðauntless

66 is still owned by LI, 60 is at the Transit Museum and is owned by Twin Forks NRHS, NOT RMLI.
  by SwingMan

That new picture is from a few weeks ago.
  by trainspot

Hard to tell, but also the C66. It was a regular at Pine Aire:
LI_C66_PineAire_1974.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by nyandw

trainspot wrote:Hard to tell, but also the C66. It was a regular at Pine Aire:
LI_C66_PineAire_1974.jpg
I have this photo: Image c. early 1960's Steve Hoskins.

Must be a better one out there! :-)
  by John 61

I started taking RR photos in 1983 and have a lot of caboose photos. For some reason I never saw C-66 out on the rosd during that period. The only time I saw that one was in Yard A in May 1988.
PHOTO BY: JOHN VOLPI
  by workextra

The first photo in the OP is labeled as "c66 at Queens Village"
The correct location is "c66 on 11tk west end of Jamaica platform (E,Tk8). The ripped up track is the former track 10 removed for reconfiguration account: new passenger platform being built.

Also note that the C66 looks fine less her glazing is not replaced and is missing her dashing Dan decal.
When ever she gets back to holban I'd like to see it finished. It's really cool to see the hack out as they're not the common sight they used to be. It's even nicer to see it painted in LI heritage paint.

Note c66 still has her roof walks. Did they get a waiver on that considering it's a historic car?
  by cr9617

workextra wrote:
Also note that the C66 looks fine less her glazing is not replaced and is missing her dashing Dan decal.
When ever she gets back to holban I'd like to see it finished. It's really cool to see the hack out as they're not the common sight they used to be. It's even nicer to see it painted in LI heritage paint.
C66 is finished. It was repainted about a year ago and has been sitting in Hoban yard until recently. Unfortunately it was done with limited time and budget so replacement glazing was out of the question. It did receive a brake rebuild, the green generator was cut off the bottom and new LED marker lights. It also just had a conductor's name stenciled below the bay windows.
  by nyandw

workextra wrote:The first photo in the OP is labeled as "c66 at Queens Village"
The correct location is "c66 on 11tk west end of Jamaica platform (E,Tk8). The ripped up track is the former track 10 removed for reconfiguration account: new passenger platform being built.
Thank you for the correction.