• Buffalo & Susquehanna Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by DECA

Recently in conversation with older gentlemen from our area, Hamburg, NY , the Buffalo & Susquehanna came up . I have been able to locate written history and one map from 1931. I have also, a list of stations from a 1912 timetable from Buffalo > Galeton, PA. Have not been able to find much in detail of where the tracks went from Blasdell, NY > Hamburg> Boston. I am looking for any of that info ....

John T
  by nydepot

You know a book has been written on the B&S? The Buffalo & Susquehanna by Paul Pietrak. It's got a lot of info in it. If you get a later copy, it was updated with new information and photos.

Charles
  by erie2937

Following the old B&S from Blasdell to Wellsville is not all that difficult. Considering how long it has been gone - 1917 - a lot is left. Most of the bridges between Buffalo and Wellsville were not removed, the steel, that is, until WWII, so many abutments are extant. A complete description of what remains is way beyond this post. For starters, though, find a copy of Paul's book and then buy the 7.5 minute USGS topographical maps of the area traversed by the B&S. Then, in Spring, before the trees leaf out and the weeds begin to grow, go out and see what you can see. You'll find culverst, abutments, r-o-w, buildings, all kinds of stuff. H.T. Guillaume
  by thebigham

http://historical.mytopo.com/getImage.a ... g&state=NY

This topo map shows the B&S from Hamburg to North Boston.

This topo shows a short piece of track that the BR&P took over at Crystal lake after the B&S was abandoned.

The B&S grade is shown as a dirt road on this topo. Find Oramel and go up the road until you find a horseshoe shaped road. That's the B&S grade.

Chris
  by JT76

The B&S crossed bayview rd right near the intersection of big tree, from there it continued through the grounds of frontier high school, crossed southwestern and through the area where the old folks home is now. It continued from there toward the village and crossed sowles rd and south park behind coggins pup i believe, you can still see the abutment where it crossed over the Erie RR, it is between south park and fairground rd crossings. From there the b&s continued through the fairgrounds and the ROW is still used as an access rd. The ROW from there is now covered by neighborhoods, matter of fact when i was working as a landscaper during my high school days, we were installing a patio behind a house on Prospect st and i was digging up slag, coal and found a RR spike. The ROW then turned toward boston and crossed newton RD near valley view (in the backyards of the houses there, the ROW is very evident as a depression) and then crossed Mckinley, and again the roadbed can be clearly made out here.
  by Mr.S

The B.& S. RR road bed also continues along side of the Frontier Senior High School's Bus garage,I know this because I went to the same school as a student that my dad was the superintendent.
  by SST

Many years ago, me and a former RR employee, flew the line from the curve at Springville to Buffalo. The line sticks out very clearly from Springville north. It starts to diminish from Hamburg into Buffalo. A light snow really highlights the line from the air. When I fly to either Great Valley or Bradford for lunch or dinner, the route always takes me over the curve at Springville where it turns east to Arcade.
  by Tom_E_Reynolds

Hi all,

Recently I have become interested in this line too, and have been looking for some detailed maps of the terminals and connections in Buffalo. (I have been looking for a few months now)

I have found this great location of Poor's B&S maps from 1901 and 1903:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categ ... ted_States

Specifically, I am looking to see exactly how the B&S got from the Fairgrounds (North Boston) into Buffalo.

I know where the Buffalo and Susquehanna Iron Company was, and the Union Canal, and I know where the B&S Freight Terminals were.

But i am unclear how the B&S got from North Boston to that location. Did they bridge over the Erie and the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern?

I am also unclear on where their passenger station was?

I have also read in the NY Times Archive that the B&S actually got trackage rights over the Erie in 1907 to run passenger service, since their line was not done yet. Makes me wonder if they ever finished it?

New York Times Archive February 2, 1907:
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr ... 946697D6CF

So...Does anyone know exactly where their passenger station was?
  by erie2937

You can easily find the B&S r-o-w in the Blasdell area. Take the road that runs north off Bayview Road into the industrial complex. You will make a right turn in about half a mile and then you will bear left about where the NS freight yard is located. On your right you will see the B&S fill. Go a little further and you will again seee the B&S fill, now on your left. When you reach the 179 overpass you will see the B&S bridge abutment under 179. This took the B&S over the PRR/NKP tracks and the NYC tracks. Go on down martin Road, turn left onto lake Street, cross the CSX main and you will be ubder what is now the SBRy bridge - it was once the B&S bridge. This is a good time of year because the trees have dropped leaves and the grass is dead. HTG
  by DECA

Excellent info !!
  by Mr.S

There is a house on Dudley Street in the Village of Hamburg that was the Hamburg Station for the Buffalo and Susquehanna RR.I'm not sure how much of it is still original.
  by erie2937

Yes, that is the B&S crossing over the PRR/NKP and the NYC.
  by thebigham

^Wow. Thanks.

It's amazing how much of the line is left considering it was abandoned in 1917.