• Buffalo & Susquehanna Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by jrs363

Here is a great site for mining historical infor on NY railroads, and you can do it from home:

http://www.fultonhistory.com

A quick search yielded:

From Elmira Telegram - 11/4/1894

—The new extension, of the Buffalo & Susquehanna railroad, which has a junction
s t a t i o n with the Fall Brook railwayat Ansonia, was inspected by the
officials of the Fall Brook this week. The party consisted of General Magee,
Colonel John Magee, John Lang, Daniel Beach, G. R. Brown, and E. F . Keishner.
I t is expected t h a t there will be a large interchange between these two roads,
which will increase the business of theFall Brook.

From Elmira Telegram - 7/16/1906

WELLSVILLE.—The work of laying the; Buffalo & . Susquehannaa railroad
track from Hamburg "to Wellsville ;..is practically completed with the exception
of the gorge bridge near Caneadea which is fast nearing'completion.

There is lots more where this came from,, lots of free content for a website,,,,
hint, hint

John
  by Railroaded

I found an interesting article on the B&S in the Feb, 1947 Trains magazine. Article was called "Sunset of an Empire".

-B in B
  by Mr.S

What about the station on Dudley Street in the Village of Hamburg,which is now a private home ? Anyone have pictures?
  by SST

Probably 10 years ago I flew over Galeton, Pa looking for remains of the B&S. We looked for the row and only found a little bit to the east of Galeton. We looked for switchbacks but I hadn't really studied the line well enough to know where they were. With this discussion restarting my interest in the B&S I will likely head back and check them out as I know pretty much where they are.

Has anybody actually walked the line out of Keating Summit which will be my starting point? Using Googles SAT/Maps I can see the line from Keating Summit to Wharton through Austin and Costello. Anything east of there towards Galeton is difficult to find. Especially the switchbacks. I've been thinking of doing a road trip through the area as well as flying it. Any recommendations from my fellow NY RR fans?
  by jrs363

Mr.S wrote:What about the station on Dudley Street in the Village of Hamburg,which is now a private home ? Anyone have pictures?
Charles has one of Hamburg, along with others at:

http://ny.existingstations.com

Make sure you check Erie, Cattaraugus and Allegany counties.

John
  by erie2937

Four years ago several of us hiked a B&S switchback. We started out at Cross Fork Junction which is just south of Cherry Springs State Park. There's a place to park there and the r-o-w is very accessible.

We hiked to the west to the end of the tail track which was probably two miles, not sure. Then we hiked east along the r-o-w to the location of the wye, probably a mile, maybe less. Other switchbacks are not easily accessible without traversing private property.

At Cross Fork Junction the B&S branch to Cross Fork diverged from the main line. We think that the road to Cross Fork is laid on the railroad r-o-w at least part of the way. Also at Cross Fork Junction there are the ruins of an overhead bridge.

H.T. Guillaume
  by thebigham

4 out of the 5 B&S switchbacks are on this topo map:

http://historical.mytopo.com/getImage.a ... g&state=PA

Find Burrows on the right hand side. The grade is a dotted line.

Switchbacks #4 and #5 are to the right of Water Tank Hollow.

Switchbacks #2 and #3 are right below "Shingleboat" in Shingleboat Hollow.

Switchback #1 is on this map:

http://historical.mytopo.com/getImage.a ... g&state=PA

It's right below "Creek" to the right of Keating Summit.
  by SST

Thanks for the info above. Very helpful. As I was viewing Cherry Springs area, I see "landing field" on the map. So I drag out my DTW Sectional and find it listed on my chart as well. But I plugged in the 3 letter identifier and can't find it. Did a google search and come to find out, it closed in 2007. To bad, I would have flown in to check things out.

It was acquired by the astronomy club/state park to expand their dark sky observations. I guess this is a very popular area to view the sky at night as it is very dark. They claim that on perfect nights, the Milky way gallaxy will cause a small shadow. It must have been a bit nerve racking to operate a train through such a dark area and not really knowing for certain what lies around the corner.

Here is a link for a little airport history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Springs_Airport
  by SST

After using the topo maps above, and using Google Sat/Maps I'm pretty sure I found the row with street view where the B&S crosses over the Coudersport and Jersey Shore turnpike. It is right next to a scenic parking area. There is a sign on the road but I can't get it to zoom in well enough to read it. I wonder if there is enough snow down there to x/c ski.

Now that I've found this crossing, switchbacks 4 & 5 stick out like a sore thumb. But they are not easily accessible from the Turnpike. It looks like I"d have to turn back to Cherry Springs and and head up W. Branch Rd into Corbett and check things out from there. We shall see.
  by SST

I"ve been trying to fly down to Pa but last week the weather didn't cooperate and today had a problem with the plane. The route would have been Akron direct to Wellsville direct to the fire tower on Route 44 in Pa which would have been just a few miles west of switchbacks 4&5.

As I passed south of the CSX mainline and passing through 4000ft, the sun was directly in front of me. Amazlingly, the VOR signal from Wellsville was strong and proceeded direct. Then, a puff of smoke came from behind the panel. It didn't smell like electrical nor did it smell like exhaust. I decided I didn't want to become a statistic in FLYING mag. where "they" ask, "Why didn't he just turn around and go back?" So, I did just that, returned to Akron.

The sky was blue and good visibility. I could have taken some great photos on a day like today. I guess it will have to wait. So, on the ground, I took a different route home which was more southerly. I looked into the sky and see a big contrail coming my way. I'm near the CSX main, so I pull over and drag out the binoculars. It ended up being a China Eastern 747-400. Nice. No trainage though. No signals were on in either direction.

We'll try again.
  by Flat-Wheeler

Yep, better to not become a statistic and live to see things another day. Hope you can get that bird "debugged." It'd be a shame if the mechanic can't find anything wrong.
  by SST

Well, I’ve been waiting rather impatiently for the weather to clear long enough to get into Pennsylvania to aerial research the B&S. Finally, this past Sunday the 21st I got to go. The forecast was clear all day everywhere and I knew the next storm was only a day away, so I called Akron and to my amazement, the plane was open all day. So I took it.

I just finished reviewing the photographs I took. I am very pleased that 99% of the them turned out okay. I took two shots of everything I photographed. It was turbulent in the area due to a strong NW flow over the hills. I’m actually surprised that most of the pics turned out okay. It will take me a while to get the pics in order before I post them so this posting is just a summary of the trip.

I departed Akron about 12:15pm and headed directly to Wellsville VOR. On the way I passed over Darien Lake and then over the Southern Tier Line. I spotted a NS eastbound headed towards Attica. I was going to follow him but I was already at 5500ft and time and fuel was limited. So I kept going. I passed over a couple of abandoned rows. One I passed over I couldn’t figure out who it was until I traced it on my chart. Turns out to be the BR&P. It’s pretty curvy down there. Must have been slow going.

I barely spotted Rushford Lake as it just passed by to my right [West]. Passing Belfast was cool because I could not only see the concrete “posts/pillars” of the former bridge but the row far into the distance. Visibility was very good the further south I went. 40+ miles.

Around this point I spotted a large contrail to the south. I had expected to see either ANA or Korean Air 777’s on my way down but it turns out to be a United Airlines 747-400 from Washington to Tokyo. I was very happy to share the airspace with the airline I always wanted to fly for since I was a little kid. Because I was paying attention to UA, I missed spotting Belmont. Then came Wellsville.

I never found the Wellsville airport as it must have gone directly underneath me. Maybe they didn’t plow it because everything looked identical. Snow covered. After Wellsville it was like entering into no mans land. Because of my route, there isn’t really any visual check points south of Wellsville. I had to use my single VOR, switching between different VOR’s to get a fix. I finally tuned in the Stonyfork VOR with the 265 degree radial set. This radial crosses over the fire tower. When the needle centered, I knew I was there, or nearly so.

But I couldn’t find the tower so I didn’t know where I was for certain. There were various roads and cuts in the hills. I started to look for the B&S crossing at PA44. Just couldn’t really tell one thing from another. So I decided to look for the abandoned airfield and start from there. I knew that PA44 goes past it. The winds were strong and took me forever to go 5 miles. Well, I got to the airport, got myself oriented to PA44 and followed it. And sure enough I find the crossing. I follow the row from PA44 and I located switchbacks 4&5. Man am I happy. All snow covered and very visible as you’ll see later.

I got the camera out and start snapping away. The turbulence start making the plane jump around. I was beginning to wonder if any of my pictures would come out okay. I took two pictures of the trestle at the bottom of 4&5 but neither came out good. To much bouncing around. But the view from the plane looking back into history was amazing. Having read Paul Pietrak’s The B&S and recalling some of the pictures taken on the switchbacks made me really appreciate what I was looking at.

After circling 4&5 I started flying westerly in search of switchbacks 2&3. After the PA44 crossing it became very difficult discerning the difference between a snowmobile path, I seasonal road or a row. I lost it. I felt I was to far south and returned to the airfield. I started flying a little more westerly and picked it up again. This switchback was hard to pick out at first as there are seasonal roads and long driveways into places on the hills. You’ll see this when the pictures are posted. But once you “edit” them out, the switchbacks are easy to see. 2&3 look like hell to operate on having to operate around such a tight corner as you’ll see. Did they operate at night?

After photographing 2&3 I followed the line down the valley. I saw what appeared to be curves headed south. I was wondering if these were the row’s headed to either Cross Forks Jct or somewhere else. The map in the B&S book says that Cross Forks was between 4&5 and 2&3. But I saw others too. But there was too much overgrowth to know for sure and I didn’t take the time to follow them beyond the valley. I kept going down the valley to Wharton then up to Costello, Austin and then Keating Summit where I found Switchback #1.

The row makes a sharp turn over the edge and down the switchback to the valley floor! Heart stopper for passengers. Keating Summit doesn’t really look like a summit from 3000 feet as far as the PRR is concerned. Looks kinda flat. I didn’t see any traffic or locomotives sitting around. But I wasn’t really looking hard either.

Buy this time I had been airborne about 1.5 hours so from Keating Summit I headed to Bradford for fuel and mother nature. It took a half hour to get to Bradford due to the winds so I knew it was going to be a long ride home back to Akron, which is why I took on a little extra fuel.

As I approached Bradford, I noticed the bridge blown down. I didn’t realize how much of the bridge is still standing. I don’t understand why they folded up the RR. Sure it would be nice to cross the whole trestle. But they could have converted a couple of gons as open-air cars and back them out onto the remaining bridge. The view would be just as good. But hey, what do I know.

After fueling and doing my preflight, I departed for home. Strong headwinds and a slow ride home. I passed Ellicottville and I tried to look for the spot for the first relocation of the depot but I was to far east so I couldn’t get a perfect view. But I did pass Springville and photographed the B&S wye. The snow accents it really well. Landed at Akron after a 3.1 hours of flight. No smoke in the cabin. No more money in the pocket either.
  by thebigham

^Thanks! Please post the pics when you have time.
  by SST

Here is a teaser photograph on my way home from Bradford. This is the ROW of the B&S at Springville. I fly over this all the time when I head to either Great Valley or Bradford for lunch. It is easily viewable during the whole year but the snow really highlights everything. More to come eventually.

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... lle.NY.jpg