• BSL and FRA rules

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by NorthPennLimited

Since the Broad Street Line has a connecting crossover track with the regional rail mainline at Fern Rock, they have a connection to the general railroad system.

Are they subject to the same FRA rules under CFR title 49 as the railroad since they have a connection and they use the same track gauge?

If they aren't subject to CFR title 49, at what point on that connecting track do the rules change for railroad crews and subway operators?
  by Jersey_Mike

No, having a freight delivery siding does not make something part of the national rail network.
  by ExCon90

On a related matter, one thing that seems to me completely unjustified is a ruling some time ago (from FRA?) that PATH is still "part of the national rail network" although there is no longer any connection in existence. I remember that PATH was very displeased about it at the time, and I never heard what the rationale was. I would say that the BSL and PATH are in identical situations and neither should be subject to FRA.
  by Limited-Clear

I think all rail networks should fall under the FRA, a governing body like the FRA stop companies taking major short cuts and putting employees and passenger lives at risk, the FRA has rules and such that companies don't always agree with and some can seem like over kill, but it still for the most part is a good thing, companies don't like it because they have to follow stricter rules and spend money when told to
  by ex Budd man

Limited-Clear wrote:I think all rail networks should fall under the FRA, a governing body like the FRA stop companies taking major short cuts and putting employees and passenger lives at risk, the FRA has rules and such that companies don't always agree with and some can seem like over kill, but it still for the most part is a good thing, companies don't like it because they have to follow stricter rules and spend money when told to
Transit systems such as MTA & BSL/MF line fall under the FTA which has similar rules and restrictions.

The connection between Septa RRD and Septa BSL at Fern Rock served as a path to deliver the new cars from Brill when built and in the recent past moving axle/wheel sets to and from FR via flat car for rebuilding (done by truck now). When the new loco was delivered it was placed on RRD rails at Liberty yard and moved to FR via the connection.