Railroad Forums 

• Browsing Railroad.net on Mobile Devices

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#874312  by slashmaster

Thanks Otto, I was thinking maybe it was the ads that kept the site from loading at all. As you can probably tell I'm very new to surfing with a mobile phone, is it normal for them to be about as slow as dialup?
 #874385  by Otto Vondrak

slashmaster wrote:Thanks Otto, I was thinking maybe it was the ads that kept the site from loading at all. As you can probably tell I'm very new to surfing with a mobile phone, is it normal for them to be about as slow as dialup?
Technically, you are on dialup if you're on a phone. I mean, I'm sure its faster than your old 1200-bps modem, but you have to put up with the traffic of your cell network, etc. etc...

-otto-
 #889600  by MEC407

It definitely depends on what kind of phone you're using. "Smartphones" such as iPhones, Blackberries, Android phones, etc., tend to have fairly sophisticated web browsers that can handle just about any web site. Other phones have web browsers that are a bit more basic. I'm currently experimenting with a prepaid phone from StraightTalk Wireless (a subsidiary of Tracfone). The phone, made by Samsung, looks just like a Blackberry, complete with full QWERTY keyboard, but the phone's features are extremely limited (even more limited than my 3-year-old Nokia). The web browser is quite archaic (reminds me of using Mosaic in the early '90s), and it's pretty much useless unless you go to sites that have special stripped-down mobile versions. And yes, it's just as slow as dialup.

The phone is well suited for making voice calls and sending text messages, but that's pretty much all it's good for. Even the camera on my 3-year-old Nokia is better than this thing!
 #895272  by hi55us

SteelRail wrote:I used to be able to access the forum on my BlackBerry Curve, but since the ads were added, it doesn't format correctly on the screen.
blackberry curve dosen't support flash so the website comes in funky, my droid incredible views it fine.
 #916895  by mxdata

Using the AT&T wireless chip on the road I have found that I cannot get past the home page of Railroad dot Net when using Internet Explorer 8. However if you use Mozilla Firefox everything seems to work properly.

There are some horrendous lags for the automatic ads to load and that frequently gives you a time out error.

MX
 #955961  by Jeff Smith

Between I-Phones (primarily an AT&T issue) and Droids (both A and VZ) bandwidth could be an issue. I use a PALM PRE, and on ocassion I just have to reset my device. As we continue throught this transition of a new developer/owner, and try to fix some of the browsing issues that developed when Google Analytics were added, I do ask your indulgence and patience, and apologize for any inconvenience.
 #996144  by gprimr1

I have to say it again; I really would love to see Tapatalk support enabled for this forum.
 #1011245  by toolmaker

I was given a Samsung Galaxy Tab with Android 2.2.1. I am able to click on the links in my email and open the topic without a problem. I do have to double tap to read the content.