Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by dinwitty

Bronze Key models doesnt have a website but email them for a sales pamphlet

EBronsky @ aol.com (remove the spaces to stop spammers)

Ordered and bought the model for my layout and it looks great.
All the little details and designs are right there. I put pics up later.
  by Tadman

I believe it's owned by Eric Bronsky, hence the name Bronze Key - a similar sound to Brons-ky. He contributes pictures of mostly HO stuff to First & Fastest, the Chicago-area publication put out by Shore Line Interurban Historical society. I think he used to write the column "Insull's Smaller Empire" for F&F, focusing entirely on modeling the Insull properties. He has some really good models of CSL trolleys and other Insull properties. Although I don't have a layout, I'm anxious to see more of his work.
  by CSS&SB702

I bought the HO scale version of his kit several years ago. Very nice kit! Back then it was also available in O scale, don't know if it still is.
  by dinwitty

HO scale, I'll get pics tonite.

I learned the CA&E Wells street terminal had a very similar design, same architect actually, and laid the design on top of the original terminal, being 2 building sizes wider, it looks like the MC depot just about but theres no entry doors, just windows.

That depot was razed when the CTA made their route thru there.
  by Tadman

Well in the limited set-up pictured above, I can say it's darn faithful to the Michigan City depot.

Picture below is an OLD pic of the MC depot - there hasn't been double track since at least the 1950's. This pic is from Tom Kepshire's website, one of the best Northern Indiana railroading resources on the web:
Sandy Goodrick has some of the best old South Shore pictures known.
  by dinwitty

its a passing siding in the street, the rest of the way was single track.

Since my era I am building is early fifties I will be doing that double track passing siding.

I asked Eric about who owns the station he said the road still owns it, but its getting into derelect condition.

Best thing I can think of for downtown is a development with a historical theme that would maybe save the depot.