• Bonita Springs, FL

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by Nelson Bay

A plan to revive daily passenger rail service was approved 6-1 by the Bonita Springs City Council this morning.

Passenger rail service was suspended 35 years ago.

The city will forward its resolution to the state's Department of Transportation for review.

by Gilbert B Norman

But we should note, Mr. Bay, that Collier County's "magnets of money', namely Naples and Marco Island, have had the ACL trackage removed South of Bonita Spg since shortly after A-Day.

It is amazing how the Lakeland-Naples "doodlebug' (an ex-Seaboard unit BTW) survived until "The End".

by Nelson Bay

Gilbert B Norman wrote:But we should note, Mr. Bay, that Collier County's "magnets of money', namely Naples and Marco Island, have had the ACL trackage removed South of Bonita Spg since shortly after A-Day.

It is amazing how the Lakeland-Naples "doodlebug' (an ex-Seaboard unit BTW) survived until "The End".
I wasn't aware of this, Mr. Norman. Bonita Springs isn't in Collier County- it's in Lee County. Would the Collier "magnets of money" have the power/influence to remove trackage in Lee County? Why would they care if the trackage was there or want to remove it?

by Gilbert B Norman

I'll stand corrected Mr Bay that Bonita Springs is in Lee County vice Collier. However may I ask a "sliver of slack" insomuch as some of the Collier/Lee line is North of Bonita. What likely the Bonita council has in mind is an initiative for regional similar to Tri Rail or the proposed service De Land to Poinciana through Orlando.

Obviously the largest draw in "deep' SW Fla is Naples/Marco Island; I simply note that the trackage has been yanked and no doubt other parties have acquired parts of the former ROW. However, from a review of this CSX Florida map (for which you will need Adobe 5.05 or higher to support) if the ACL line even serves Bonita (MP 332) today. While the actual end-of-track is not identified on the map, it does not appear to extend South of where Arcadia (MP 258) would be located..

However assuming the line has remained intact, if Fort Myers, Punta Gorda and Cape Coral were to be the focal point of a regional rail system and Bonita a Southern end point, then there might be a different tune to play. Now that Tri Rail, after more than fifteen years of "being around" is finally starting to take hold having garnered some "heavy Feddybucks" (FTA) for infrastructure improvements, it appears other regions in the State are starting to take note.

But what do I know, I'm pretty much "SE Fla", Boca, when I come down.

by Noel Weaver

The Seminole Gulf runs the line down through Fort Myers for both freight
and tourist type passenger trains. I think it goes as far south as North
Naples, my guess maybe six miles north of Naples.
Next time I go over to the "other coast", I will try to determine just where
the south end of the line actually is.
It is probably a "copy cat" situation now that Tri-Rail is starting to pick up
steam and they are finally getting something going in Orlando.
I know traffic can be a real stinker around the Fort Myers area but I think
the area that needs help first is Tampa/St. Pete.
I doubt if anything will happen around the Fort Myers/Naples area anytime
soon.
Noel Weaver

by Nelson Bay

I agree with your thoughts, Mr. Norman regarding what the Bonita Council has in mind for a regional similar to Tri-Rail. I also feel Mr. Weaver's comment about Tampa/St. Pete ranking above the Ft. Myers on the "needs list" is accurate.

Anyway credit to the Bonita Council for trying.