• Bombardier Coach Overhaul

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Silverliner II

As most of you may be aware, Rotem had a contract to overhaul 22 SEPTA push-pull trailer coaches. SEPTA had previously done three of them at Frazer, and were doing the cab cars in-house at Frazer as time permitted. Recently, the contract was expanded to include the 10 center-door cars (not 11 as stated in various media, as that would equal 1 car more than SEPTA has in the fleet).

This is a list of the cars that have not yet been overhauled, based on personal observation of the operating fleet and what has been cycling through the CSX Greenwich Yard. Due to missing one trainset in my observations yesterday, I have a question on the status of one car, so until I see otherwise, I will count it as not having been overhauled.

Info is current as of 4/26/16.

Cab control coaches not yet completed (work done by SEPTA at Frazer):
2402-2407, 2409-2410

Trailer coaches not yet completed:
2520-2521, 2550-2559**

**2550-2553 currently at Rotem for overhaul as of 4-22-16
  by Silverliner II

Updated to add car #2520 as being overhauled... I saw it this morning.
  by khecht

Things seem to be progressing quickly for a change. Rode 2521 yesterday, still in the original config, and didn't realize there were so few unrefurbished coaches left.
  by Limited-Clear

Keep in mind it is only an interior overhaul, basically cosmetic, the hardware of the coach is still the same.
  by Silverliner II

Limited-Clear wrote:Keep in mind it is only an interior overhaul, basically cosmetic, the hardware of the coach is still the same.
And exterior re-striping.

As I have been calling it elsewhere: The Rotem Interior Makeover School.
They have taken nearly a year to do the work so far, so not quite so fast, since they had only been going in groups of two... until now, with the group of four now at Rotem.
khecht wrote:Things seem to be progressing quickly for a change. Rode 2521 yesterday, still in the original config, and didn't realize there were so few unrefurbished coaches left.
Last original unrefurbished trailer.... I am surprised they overlooked it, and sent four center-doors ahead of it.
Then again... Frazer still has 8 cab cars to do....
  by dcipjr

I'm glad they're doing the center-door coaches...the window glass on those is so scratched up and foggy that you can barely see out. It's more like privacy glass than a regular window.

I sort of find the overhauls to be a little too bright; the brown tones of the original interiors were a bit more relaxing on the evening rides home. Still, it's nice that they're getting some upkeep.
  by Silverliner II

Trailers 2554, 2555, 2556, and 2557 are enroute from Rotem back to SEPTA and should be at Woodbourne at the time of this post.

This leaves only 3 trailer coaches remaining to go through the makeover program: 2521, 2558, and 2559.

Of course, SEPTA still has 8 cab cars to do.

And nothing more is likely to be done to any of those 11 cars until after the Silverliner V's are all returned to service.
  by Silverliner II

None of the original trailers were being done in any particular order. I guess it just happened to be left over when they gathered up the center-door trailers to go...
  by rslitman

Silverliner II wrote:Trailers 2554, 2555, 2556, and 2557 are enroute from Rotem back to SEPTA and should be at Woodbourne at the time of this post.
Someone I know heard train horns too loud to be Silverliner 4s in the Meadowbrook/ Bethayres area in the early afternoon of both the day this was posted and the day before. Could the train on Wednesday, August 3 have been en route to or from Woodbourne in connection with these cars? But that doesn't explain the Tuesday, August 2 train horn.
  by danquagl

Silverliner II wrote:None of the original trailers were being done in any particular order. I guess it just happened to be left over when they gathered up the center-door trailers to go...
Aren't the cab cars being done at Frazer?
  by Silverliner II

rslitman wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:Trailers 2554, 2555, 2556, and 2557 are enroute from Rotem back to SEPTA and should be at Woodbourne at the time of this post.
Someone I know heard train horns too loud to be Silverliner 4s in the Meadowbrook/ Bethayres area in the early afternoon of both the day this was posted and the day before. Could the train on Wednesday, August 3 have been en route to or from Woodbourne in connection with these cars? But that doesn't explain the Tuesday, August 2 train horn.
Trains 6348 and 6352 operate with Bombardier sets. 6348 terminates at Neshaminy Falls and deadheads back to Center City. Might have been one of those trains they heard.... 6348 departs 30th Street before 4pm...
danquagl wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:None of the original trailers were being done in any particular order. I guess it just happened to be left over when they gathered up the center-door trailers to go...
Aren't the cab cars being done at Frazer?
Yes, on a time and equipment available basis, from what I was told. The last time I did inventory in the spring, I only saw 9 cabs operating, but I'd also missed the first PP set heading out to Malvern that afternoon.
  by danquagl

Silverliner II wrote:[
Trains 6348 and 6352 operate with Bombardier sets. 6348 terminates at Neshaminy Falls and deadheads back to Center City. Might have been one of those trains they heard.... 6348 departs 30th Street before 4pm...
6348 turns as D3553 as Neshaminy I think and becomes a Thorndale train.....
  by Silverliner II

That's the only match I could find... 3553. But that also means it must duck into Roberts Yard for a while. I saw that deadhead pass me at Rydal around 5:15pm. 3553 does not depart Temple U until after 6:30pm.
Last edited by Silverliner II on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by danquagl

Yes it does seem to stay at Roberts, from listening to scanner radio, they seem to usually leave Neshaminy early around maybe 5 ish and come out of the south end of Roberts close to departure time. They are probably getting out of the way of congestion.