Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

Bomb threat stops train, but no explosive found

Published April 27, 2007

DEERFIELD -- A bomb threat made in Libertyville led to the evacuation of about 300 passengers from a Metra commuter train Thursday morning in downtown Deerfield.

Police received the call about 5:40 a.m. and immediately notified Metra, Libertyville Chief Pat Carey said. The call came from a public phone at the village's Prairie Crossing station. The caller, believed to be a woman, made no reference to a particular train, he said.

Metra halted train No. 2106, scheduled to stop at Deerfield at 6:19, and searched it after passengers got off, Metra spokeswoman Judy Pardonnet said.

Bish Krywko of Round Lake was among the riders who were frustrated with what he said was a lack of information from Metra about the evacuation. "They left people wondering more by not giving people a response," Krywko said. Metra spokeswoman Judy Pardonnet said the affected southbound commuters got on a later train and arrived at their destinations roughly 30 minutes late. The evacuated train was on the Milwaukee District North Line, which carries passengers from Fox Lake to Chicago's Union Station.

The case is under investigation.

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

by EricL

I didn't hear anything about 330 being delayed by this, so it must not have taken that long.

Unrelated - It was either 2144 or 2146, I don't remember which, that was stopped at Edgebrook on Wednesday night for a medical emergency. I was riding in the cab car on 339 going north, but I couldn't really see what was going on when we went by.