Railroad Forums 

• BNSF hours/work/rest for conductor? (basic work schedule)

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#143553  by Engineer Spike

Your hours will depend on the job you can hold. When I started, I was on a night yard job. My days off were mid-week. I was soon able to bid an afternoon passenger job with weekends off.
You could end up on an extra board. You may be marked up 24-7. If you need a day off, mark off.
When I left there, they were trying to add rest days to some boards and pools. These jobs work 10 or 11 days. after that, there are a few days off.

#155396  by WOODCHUK

WOW I NEVER NEW IT WAS THAT MANY HOURS ....IS THAT ON CALL OR PHYSICLLY WORKING?????

#155474  by Chris_S68

WOODCHUK wrote:WOW I NEVER NEW IT WAS THAT MANY HOURS ....IS THAT ON CALL OR PHYSICLLY WORKING?????
It can feel like you're working that much! :wink:
Marked up means available for work or on call. The most you can legally work in one stretch is 12 hours, though that doesn't necessarily include deadheading and such.

#164917  by Wannertant

It is not my original post, but i am interested if anyone else could post what their schedules look like for bnsf.