Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Hiring practices

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#109863  by inkycavz24

I am 19 years old, and I am currently taking certification courses at San Bernardino Valley College in the field of General Railroad Operations. I am the youngest person in the class. The courses are taught by three BNSF employees and one Metrolink employee. I recently applied to a conductor trainee position and was declined, while one of my classmates was invited to an interview. The only difference between us is that I am 19 and he is in his forties. I am wondering if I was turned down on basis of age, and if so, I am wondering if I have any chance of working for the railroad for the next few years.

#109869  by LCJ

What do your instructors (the BNSF employees) say about that?

I doubt if it was an age issue. If you really want this, don't give up because one person was chosen over you for some reason.
 #109876  by KarlJ

[deleted]
Last edited by KarlJ on Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#109968  by Avro Arrow

Speaking from my experience, I believe your age did have a lot to do with it. I'm not saying you're too young for the job, but BNSF HR people might think so. It sucks, but that's how it is at some places.

Tried UP? MetroLink? One thing about LA, it's a big terminal for all railroads, so turnover will be fairly good and they'll hire again soon enough. You just might have to wait.

Unless something obvious has happened, like a red flag on a background check, criminal conviction, etc.
 #109973  by jg greenwood

inkycavz24 wrote:I am 19 years old, and I am currently taking certification courses at San Bernardino Valley College in the field of General Railroad Operations. I am the youngest person in the class. The courses are taught by three BNSF employees and one Metrolink employee. I recently applied to a conductor trainee position and was declined, while one of my classmates was invited to an interview. The only difference between us is that I am 19 and he is in his forties. I am wondering if I was turned down on basis of age, and if so, I am wondering if I have any chance of working for the railroad for the next few years.
Don't be discouraged. Many moons ago a minor's release was required to work for the PRR. The people in HR may feel that the demands of the extra board are more suited to someone more advanced in years. Do not let this diminish your enthusiam. I would say your chances of being hired are very good as many of the same HR types view a younger person as being more employable than a grey-beard. Hang in there, and good luck!!

#109975  by inkycavz24

I was just wondering if I would get hired now, or if I have to wait about five years or so. I still want to work for the railroad, as I have ever since I was little. I sent one of my instructors an email about it and have yet to hear from him. And no, I haven't been in trouble with the law. :-)

#110046  by SteelWheels21

The youngest guy I work with is 22 and he was 21 when he hired out, so you shouldn't have to wait that long.

#110207  by KarlJ

[deleted]
Last edited by KarlJ on Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#110675  by aprr454

I was just hired on with UP in the MofW department and I'm 22. There are seven of us that got hired. Our ages are; 19, 20-22, 20-22, 22, 22, 22, and 30ish. As you can see I don't know the exact age of three of them but they are young like I am. Don't give up, it took me three years to get hired. As you are, I was 19 when I started to apply for railroad jobs.

#110697  by AmtrakFan

I would Try Try Again try UP maybe their desprate for crews.

#121579  by JuKayes

I guarantee you that had nothing to do with why your friend was selected, and you weren't... Same thing has happened to me, I don't know what cuases that.

I will tell you this, the very first time I applied I didn't put down that I knew anyone out there (i.e. no referral) the second time I applied I did put my buddy down, and I was called out to the orientation and testing.

Did that get me called?? I don't know......it's an almost entirely random selection process. But like the other guy told you keep trying, if you really want this just keep trying...

I still am, I didn't get hired when I went so I gotta wait 6-mo, and I'm counting the days. Don't give up it'll happen, when it's your time...

#122844  by RailroadDog

inkycavz24

UP is desperate for people in California. They do not care about
your age but perhaps you have very little work experience???

Don't give up. Just keep taking your classes and if your not working
you need to get a job that somehow relates to the railroad.

Especially if you can get a shift work job.

Hope that helps some.

Sean
www.getarailroadjob.com