Railroad Forums 

• BNSF carmen requirements

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#139318  by route_rock

Qualifications:

High school diploma / GED required. Valid driver's license required; Commercial Driver's Class B License is preferred. Knowledge of AAR and FRA rules is preferred. NOTE: Journey-level carman certification is preferred.

Get your CDL B, keep your grades up, try to get on out of High School or while in a CO-OP class in HS to a private car repair facility ( if one is close to you) contact BNSF at BNSF.com maybe you can get in an aprenticeship class with them.

Good luck and see you in the rail yard kid.

#139346  by GN_RS-3

Routerock,
Thanks for the info! I was not sure if BNSF did the aprenticeship program or not, I was talking mith my school counselor a few months back, and I think I am signed up for it my senior year :) Also, there is a private railcar repair company not 5 blocks away from me, I have a distant relative that works there too. :-)

#139939  by route_rock

Well good deal GN! Ill try and send some work your way :wink: till then I will be extra careful :P