Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#386279  by F40CFan

The BNSF Business Train (or part of the fleet) is parked on the north side of Union Station today on track 1. They had to put the protection locomotive on track 3.

There was no locomotive on the train when I saw it. The last car is open observation car "Sante Fe". Didn't have anything to write down the other car names on.
 #386465  by AMTK84

F40CFan wrote:The BNSF Business Train (or part of the fleet) is parked on the north side of Union Station today on track 1. They had to put the protection locomotive on track 3.

There was no locomotive on the train when I saw it. The last car is open observation car "Sante Fe". Didn't have anything to write down the other car names on.
Any idea when it is leaving and where it is going?

Thanks

#386606  by Tadman

And/or can anybody get pics?

Since the merger, what is the standard b-train? the black/white of BNSF or stainless of ATSF? I've seen ATSF stainless running around with BNSF logos, but I can't imagine the black/white fleet just disappeared.

#386816  by metraRI

I took a walk from Madison Street tonight on my way back to LaSalle, nothing besides the usual Metra sets on the north end of CUS.

#387293  by F40CFan

I didn't get any pictures. The train was all stainless with dark (green?) lettering. It was gone in the evening.

Although it left Friday afternoon, the protection locomotive this morning was still on track 3 and there was a scoot on track 1.

I would carry my camera with me, but they don't allow cameras in my building.

#387316  by Tadman

Thanks anyway - last time I got off Amtk #4 (nov 2007) at CUS, there was an outbound train, I think #3, with about 5-7 BNSF stainless cars, including two open observations and one full dome, attached to the end. There was also two ex-NYC cars including Hickory creek att'd to #48 that day. I felt like I was in 1957 for a few minutes, never mind the fact that the ex-ATSF stainless cars would be at Dearborn and the ex-NYC cars would be at LaSalle... (I should have squinted - the stainless could have been CB&Q and the carbon coaches could have been UP two-tone grey on the MILW)

#387319  by F40CFan

Tadman wrote:Thanks anyway - last time I got off Amtk #4 (nov 2007) at CUS, there was an outbound train, I think #3, with about 5-7 BNSF stainless cars, including two open observations and one full dome, attached to the end. There was also two ex-NYC cars including Hickory creek att'd to #48 that day. I felt like I was in 1957 for a few minutes, never mind the fact that the ex-ATSF stainless cars would be at Dearborn and the ex-NYC cars would be at LaSalle... (I should have squinted - the stainless could have been CB&Q and the carbon coaches could have been UP two-tone grey on the MILW)
Yeah, its also fun when the Empire Builder has some private cars on the end. A little imagination, a dash of daydreaming and......

#392034  by F40CFan

Its back.

On the way in this morning, I saw it again on track one. I was able to make out another car name, "Fred Harvey". I was sitting on the wrong side of the train, so it was hard to make things out.

Don't know how long it'll be there.

#402696  by F40CFan

I was on 2227 last night (05/23/2007) when the Empire Builder (#8) arrived next to me. There were 4 or 5 BNSF business cars on the end, one of which being "Stevens Pass". I have to start carrying some paper.

Last week, there was a Milwaukee Road painted super dome followed by a skytop lounge bringing up the markers on number 8.

#402854  by doepack

F40CFan wrote:Last week, there was a Milwaukee Road painted super dome followed by a skytop lounge bringing up the markers on number 8.
Saw that animal last week as it rolled through Western Ave. Where are all of these cars coming from?

#402952  by F40CFan

I don't know, but its kind of cool.

Does anyone know of a private car get together anywhere? I know they ran that Liberty Express for the disabled veterans out east not too long ago.

#403065  by Wanderer

F40CFan wrote:I don't know, but its kind of cool.

Does anyone know of a private car get together anywhere? I know they ran that Liberty Express for the disabled veterans out east not too long ago.
I believe those cars belong to the Friends of the MILW261. Could be wrong.

#404517  by doodaa

I saw the BNSF Silver cars at Washington Union Station, on the 25th April, was being put ready to be attached to an AMTRAK train, I'm guessing it would be the Capitol Limted. Pictures of the cars are here

http://usarailroads.fotopic.net/c1283394.html

Steve

#407235  by MikeF

Just a reminder, folks ... this is the Metra forum; let's please keep the discussion to Metra topics. For other Chicago-area discussion, try the Illinois Railfan forum.