• Blissville Freight Station: ID the Location?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by krispy

Could that be the existing building by the Yardmaster trailers at Borden Ave in LIC now? Technically Blissville was east thereof on the secondaries, but hey, you never know.
  by R36 Combine Coach

krispy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:32 pm Could that be the existing building by the Yardmaster trailers at Borden Ave in LIC now?
The side profile, door, roofline and shape certainly match along with dimensions (through windows somewhat changed). Unless there was an near-twin further east, but Historic Aerials 1965/1966 shows no structure where the red X would be. Even the brickwork matches on the facade.
  by nyandw

krispy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:32 pm Could that be the existing building by the Yardmaster trailers at Borden Ave in LIC now? Technically Blissville was east thereof on the secondaries, but hey, you never know.
Can you define a it more where I should look? West of 111th St. (bridge)? Thank you.
  by krispy

Here:https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7403449 ... 384!8i8192
They've added some trailers nearby as they moved the YE's and track from what was near the bumper blocks to this point just east of the Pulaski between where the Mainline splits from the Lower Montauk. Now what I always considered "Blissville" was the area where Bliss tower was, about a mile east of this point, but who knows what transpired when that picture was taken. I would've assumed at first it was somewhere around the Wheelspur yard, but then again, who knows now?
  by nyandw

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:21 pm
krispy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:32 pm Could that be the existing building by the Yardmaster trailers at Borden Ave in LIC now?
The side profile, door, roofline and shape certainly match along with dimensions (through windows somewhat changed). Unless there was an near-twin further east, but Historic Aerials 1965/1966 shows no structure where the red X would be. Even the brickwork matches on the facade.
Hmm.. I don't see how the roof vents match, nor why modify windows in a concrete block structure??
  by krispy

I could be wrong. The 2nd Bliss tower is very similar to this structure (concrete box) and would've been built in that era, and that was nearby too.
  by nyandw

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:21 pm
The photo date may be the error. A look back from 1957 to 1964 may be the clue!
  by 452 Card

Blissville Yard was east of Dutch Kills. Unless there was a clone in LIC, that structure would not be there. I would wager it to be next to Greenpoint Avenue, near the street to allow access. And, its twin would be Bliss Tower (Ha Ha).
  by Dogbert666

This is a good mystery. At first I thought "That's just Bliss Tower" but the surroundings don't add up. It looks like a track in the foreground, and then the mainline behind it. The lighting feels like a morning photo, facing west. The background also is a little off: the 'getty' terminal had gas tanks that in theory would be visible in this photo if it were Bliss tower.

If I had to guess, I'd place this just west of the existing Bliss tower, at the foot of 35th street. The track in the foreground would be the B&G siding (some of which is still in place, embedded in the concrete behind the storage place. The Red X spot is also very possible, but that just feels like the main track running behind the building, not one of the long ago ripped up sidings that would be in the getty property now.
  by 452 Card

That shot makes it easy. In the background is the westward position light signal that governs the approach to DB over the bridge. Higher up is the signal bridge controlling the westward approach to M Cabin on the Montauk Cutoff. The view is looking west at the west end of Blissville Yard. Has to be the former car inspectors shanty.
  by nyandw

O, here's a shot from DB Cabin that shows the cinder block Freight Station (far left) and a board /batten wood white/brown small building (has a smoke stack) across from the signal bridge. Can anyone look again at their aerials and see what they find after 11/1960 into 1964?