• Better: Cab Car or Loco

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by benltrain

As an engineer (whether its a matter of personal choice or not) is it easier to control a train from a cab car or loco?

I'd guess a cab car because there's less noise and you're not isolated from the rest of the crew.

by keotaman

I think it's easier from the loco -- better forestalling suppression, faster brake pipe response, can sand for the loco from this end, have independent for loco brake, & less distracting conversation!

by RearOfSignal

keotaman wrote:have independent for loco brake, & less distracting conversation!
The independant brake doesn't work on the loco from the cab end?

by keotaman

Correct, independent brake is only on the loco, none in the cab car. Just "the big brake" in the cab car.

by c604.

Chicago area gallery cab cars (and I think Surfliner cars as well) have "parking brakes" which is essentially a cab car version of a locomotive independent brake which applies the brakes only on the cab car itself.

by Grump

The majority of the time, pull mode is a better ride...

A parking brake is different from an independent brake...
An independent brake and bail off feature is used as a part of train handling...

by c604.

That's why I slipped it in there that its a cab car version of an independent and not identical to an idependent on a locomotive. Sorry I should have clarified what I meant a little more.

by DutchRailnut

Working both cab car and engine every day, I have no preference and feel equaly safe and at home at either mode.

by Robert Paniagua

Although a cab car as one mentioned can invite a customer (civilian passenger) to engage you in unnecessary conversation so I'd have the cab door CLOSED at all times. Especially also for physical safety reasons.

by AmtrakPhill629

Is it cheaper to have a cab car rather than 2 engines on both ends?

by byte

AmtrakPhill629 wrote:Is it cheaper to have a cab car rather than 2 engines on both ends?
Yes, unless the car is a de-motored locomotive (like Amtrak's cabbage cars) since they don't use any fuel. However with a cab car, you can also put passengers in it. The train can be shorter and carry the same amount of people if a cab car is used versus a locomotive, de-motored or not.