Railroad Forums 

• Beesley's Point Future

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1619898  by Bracdude181

I heard something like that. Also heard SRNJ put the lights up because of some sort of NJDOT thing.

I can understand the latter because Black Horse Pike is a busy highway, and the rail line there is sometimes used for storage. But the BPIT? A track Conrail may never run on again? Very strange…
 #1619914  by Dcell

State DOT pays for grade crossing upgrades and it knows how to waste $$$ very well. And I doubt CMSL will buy this rail line for car storage.
 #1619915  by Bracdude181

DOT pays for the road but the railroad pays for the lights.

Maybe not buy the line, but lease it. That’s usually how shortlines take over from Conrail I’ve noticed.
 #1620690  by Railcar1

I saw on the news last night that most of the plant was demolished yesterday except the stack which will be done at a later date.
 #1620806  by AceMacSD

That car's been there a long time. I remember seeing it way back when we'd pull through to run around. The tracks'll probably be ripped out when they fully remove all the demo materials. Same thing happened in Perth Amboy at the steel. And just like who they cut up the engine and rails there and trucked out the scrap, same will go for there.
 #1620808  by Bracdude181

There were two SW9s in there when the plant was still operating. Did they get scrapped as well? AFAIK they were owned by Atlantic City Electric.

Edit: AceMac, just out of curiosity would you happen to know where Conrail ownership of the line ends and where BL Englands started?
 #1620814  by JohnFromJersey

Pretty crazy to think that this site was operating until just 4 years ago. I believe there is a video somewhere on here of the last train to the power plant.
AceMacSD wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:01 pm That car's been there a long time. I remember seeing it way back when we'd pull through to run around. The tracks'll probably be ripped out when they fully remove all the demo materials. Same thing happened in Perth Amboy at the steel. And just like who they cut up the engine and rails there and trucked out the scrap, same will go for there.
Think CR or CMSL will run a train to retrieve the ripped up rail and demo materials?
 #1620815  by Bracdude181

CMSL is not allowed on the Beesleys Point Industrial Track, which begins at DCS PAL on the Beesleys Point Secondary and ends either on or near the BL England property. Any train running there would be either Conrail, NS, or CSX.

Before demolition began, construction waste trains were rumored but never ran. Last summer they demolished the cooling tower there and no waste trains ran, so I doubt we will see any.

As to a rail train, possible but unlikely.
 #1621015  by AceMacSD

Chances are it'll have the same fate as the Perth Amboy steel. Demo material trucked out and that remaining car will most likely be trucked out in the pile of rubble too. And no rail train. If the tracks not given up to the Cape May, it'll likely but cut and trucked out.
 #1621017  by Bracdude181

Even if they hand it off to CMSL I’m not exactly sure what they can do besides car storage. Excursions maybe, but even so…