• Baltimore Penn Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by JimBoylan

strench707 wrote:Just wondering, what kind of engine was the Bayview helper?
Near the end of ConRail freight electrification, any oddball electric locomotive, like an E-33 or E-40, both from the New Haven RR, E-33s were Norfolk & Western and Virginian before that.
  by TomNelligan

strench707 wrote:Very cool! Just wondering, what kind of engine was the Bayview helper?
Usually a GG1 in Penn Central days.
  by strench707

Ah okay thanks guys for the clarification. I was assuming it was going to be electrics. Now the only mystery that remains is that stupid 8N signal. If we can't figure it out here I might just drive up and see how close I can get.

Davis
  by gprimr1

I've sometimes been tempted to wade the Jones Falls river to get a better look at Charles interlocking (of course staying off Amtrak property).
  by strench707

That would be pretty cool! I hate it how this signal I'm looking for is always obscured by something.

Davis
  by BuddSilverliner269

gprimr1 wrote:I've sometimes been tempted to wade the Jones Falls river to get a better look at Charles interlocking (of course staying off Amtrak property).
I dont know G, I dont think Charles is to impressive. I have seen pics of days gone by when the Northen Central was in full force as well, that the Charles Interlocking(I believe it use to be called B&P Jct at one time, Im not sure)was really a sight to see. Anything yuo want to see now, you can see with Google satellite images. It gives you a pretty good idea, whats there.
  by The Metropolitan

For anyone interested in how the arrangements in and around Baltimore Penn Station (as well as early photos of the opposite side tracks/platform and others displaying UNION STATION lettering), I'd strongly suggest checking out a copy of the book "Triumph VI," which gives an amazing amount of details/photos for this location and many others between Philly and Washington.

I'd expect that any vestiges of old Station Track "B" used by the Parkton locals vanished when the parking garage was constructed. Looking at the old photos in the book, the parking garage entryway that I clearly recall pre-dating the parking garage is noticeably absent as late as 1940's, and the "B" platform seems to be accessed by an understation footway, though I believe at some point this may have been replaced with a direct stairway from Charles Street.

The book does mention the 1959 installation of the gauntlet track, but despite being very good in current Amtrak details, does not seem to mention a date when taken OOS.

One other tidbit that might be of interest is that there used to be a "High Line" at Baltimore Penn, not in the Philly sense, but a higher grade line out of the station depression that went directly to the South end of the Mt. Vernon Yards (current LR/Flexiflo term). The tracks actually crossed the B&O at grade just south of North Avenue and went through the bores currently used by the Central Light Rail Line. This arrangement certainly didn't last beyond the Expressway's construction in 1959.

And in the interest of keeping the reply Amtrak related, I've heard where in one of the large service disruptions of a few years ago, tracks 2 and 3 were actually pressed into service. I seem to recall these as being more the domain of the LD trains, prior to MARC's expansion to its current service level.
  by Bobby S

As my 1st post mentioned there was nowhere to drink or eat... except for a DD. I walked the station outside end to end and could not see anything of that nature anywhere to be found. Anyone know of good bar/restaurants near the station?? If not what a perfect time to open such a place! lol
  by sschelle

Do NOT go wading, swimming, etc. in the Jones Falls. There have been numerous drowings in the lower part of the Falls, near Falls Road and Penn Station. Tricky current and irregular, littered bottom.
  by travelrobb

Bobby S wrote:As my 1st post mentioned there was nowhere to drink or eat... except for a DD. I walked the station outside end to end and could not see anything of that nature anywhere to be found. Anyone know of good bar/restaurants near the station??
Actually, just two minutes' walk north of the station, on the block between West Lanvale St. (first street north of the tracks) and E. Lafayette Ave. is a hip mini-neighborhood with several bars, cafes and restaurants. I believe I had a tasty dinner at Tapas Teatro, though I don't remember what I ate. Again, it's just a couple minutes' walk from the station.

In fact, here is the Google street view -- the big gray building down the block on the left is Penn Station.

Robb
  by realtype

IMHO Penn station has the best looking exterior of all the stations on the Corridor, including Grand Central. Apart from the curvature of the facade it looks remarkably like South Station. That ugly "art" in front of it destroys it though. Union Station is still my favorite overall, in terms of architecture.
  by RRspatch

Bobby S wrote:As my 1st post mentioned there was nowhere to drink or eat... except for a DD. I walked the station outside end to end and could not see anything of that nature anywhere to be found. Anyone know of good bar/restaurants near the station?? If not what a perfect time to open such a place! lol
Walk out the front of the building and head south on Charles Street. About a block and a half on the left you will find Jay's Deli and Catering. Back when I was a dispatcher in the Amtrak Baltimore office (B Office) we used to get out food there all the time. Looking at the Google Street View photo the place looks better than ever.
  by Jersey_Mike

I believe I had a tasty dinner at Tapas Teatro, though I don't remember what I ate. Again, it's just a couple minutes' walk from the station.
The tapas place is a rippoff, don't go there. It's way over prices. I can vouch for Jay's tho. Excellent Italian deli food and pizza. There's no internal seating tho so you will have to carry out.
  by Bobby S

I was hoping to find a cool place with "at least" SAM ADAMS lol I tried to google map the neighborhoods and they didn't seem like they have any Microbeer Bars nearby! Again, I took the Light Rail from "Pratt St. Ale House" which was good even though it is not the Wharf Rat!! LOL Any GOOD BARS in walking distance near PENN STATION???
  by The Metropolitan

Bobby S wrote:I was hoping to find a cool place with "at least" SAM ADAMS lol I tried to google map the neighborhoods and they didn't seem like they have any Microbeer Bars nearby! Again, I took the Light Rail from "Pratt St. Ale House" which was good even though it is not the Wharf Rat!! LOL Any GOOD BARS in walking distance near PENN STATION???
http://www.thebrewersart.com/

3 and a half blocks south of the station, not a hard walk at all, and even easier to stagger back due to the downgrade of Charles Street.

There's also Turp's, which is a bit cheaper, but I can't find a tap list on their site:
http://www.turpsonline.com/index.html

You've actually made me realize something: Looking at the all stations on the NEC, Baltimore may actually be the closest to being immersed in a living, breathing, functioning neighborhood. Most others are either in CBDs or set in areas that don't have a lot of activity outside the station.