• Baltimore Light Rail and rest stops

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by bellstbarn

When I railfan by rail instead of by automobile, I become concerned about available pit stops. Last week, I enjoyed touring the Baltimore Light Rail main line from Hunt Valley to Cromwell, and I deliberately noted the availability of photo stops, restaurants, and rest rooms for future need. This post is intended to help other transit fans who ride the rails.
-----
First of all, my senior day pass on the entire system (light rail, subway, bus) cost $1.20 from the ticket machine! Fantastic. No inspector asked to see it. Secondly, we stayed at Marriott's Hunt Valley Inn, which has a heated indoor/outdoor pool. The motel seems to offer van service to the Light Rail, but Pepper Road station is less than a ten-minute walk across parking lots. The many restaurants and stores of Hunt Valley Towne Center are adjacent to the Hunt Valley Light Rail two-stub-end terminal, and also within an easy walk from that Marriott.
-----
From north to south: I was annoyed that as soon as we entered double track at Gilroy Road, we met three teen-age girls walking south on the northbound track; approaching Timonium, we came upon another trespasser. North of Timonium, there was a triple-track section, apparently for turnbacks. but the Timonium station had push-buttons on the south end of each platform, perhaps controlling crossovers ahead (or perhaps to ask a switch change from a dispatcher?). Lutherville has a Baltimore County police station and a small shopping center to the east. More crossovers appeared as we went under I-695. Then on the left side there were balloons decorating a tree. One dead trespasser? As other threads have explained here, we were not allowed to stop at several communities, including Ruxton Post Office. At Falls Road, I noticed another constant problem with Baltimore Light Rail: alighting passengers presume to cross in front of the train! Mount Washington appeared to be an attractive photo stop on the west, and Cold Spring Lane station is in a park setting. Woodbury also seemed to be a good photo stop. At North Avenue (two island platforms, triple track), the operator reached out his right-side to push a button.
-----
I had hoped to take photos on Howard Street, but the scene was shady in both meanings: no sunlight on the trains, and too many vagrants. What struck this New Yorker was that the depressed part of downtown wasn't deep; to east and west the businesses were in better shape. I arrived at University Center to find a crowd surging from the sidewalk to board the our three-car train by using the twelve doors, an excellent reason for the proof-of-payment system.
-----
At the Inner Harbor, I went in search of the nearest available rest room. I found it in the Light Street Pavilion, but James Rouse's 1980 development has a few empty stores and seemed somewhat seedy.
----
On the Light Rail again, I noticed the brief stretch where CSX parallels the trams north of Patapsco. At Nursery Road station, there was a warning sign: Train may use either platform. Is there reverse running? A Checkers, a Sleep Inn, and Comfort Inn appeared near North Lithicum. Papa John and Subway were near Lithicum. North of Ferndale there seemed to be a few good photo spots for the morning.. The terminal at Cromwell (Glen Burnie) has across the street a McDonald's, KFC, and Wendy's. The station is just south of I-79. One track continues south, to what?
I have posted a dozen photos on Webshots:
http://travel.webshots.com/album/567775 ... ost=travel