• Ballast Train on R3 Elwyn

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by R3 Passenger

It occurred to me last night that this train has to get off the SEPTA line at some point. What movement is done to achieve that, since I don't think they would send it to 30th Street Upper Level?
  by mb38

Believe the Ballast trains go to where the R1&R2 and R3 tracks merge ( Arsenal) - Reverse to Phl Interlocking and crossover to the Amrak Tracks and reverse again and proceed to the Amrak siding in the vicinity of the University Station and wait for pick-up by the MOW crew
  by Quinn

Ballast train runs are back again. Just as it was back in Fall '09, they seem to follow train #393.

Tonight's was a quite a loooong batch of empty hoppers going out the quarry with #3030 leading and #3029 on the back end for the return. Haven't seen that pair before; usually a combo amongst 512, 525, 527, 575, 576, 578 and 720.
  by emd645e3

I saw it tonight at Phil. I kept seeing the two Geeps at 30th street, wondering why Amtrak had NS power. Now I know.

mb38, you're right. It's the same move SP33 makes to get to Amoroso on the Media line.
  by BuddSilverliner269

emd645e3 wrote:I saw it tonight at Phil. I kept seeing the two Geeps at 30th street, wondering why Amtrak had NS power. Now I know.

mb38, you're right. It's the same move SP33 makes to get to Amoroso on the Media line.
Amtrak is leasing 4 NS GP38's for work train service. These units seem to be all over the place. They were originally stationed in Adams Yard, but now I see them in Philly-Wilmington, and 2 are sitting on the Welded rail train south of Bayview on A track.
  by BuddSilverliner269

emd645e3 wrote:I saw it tonight at Phil. I kept seeing the two Geeps at 30th street, wondering why Amtrak had NS power. Now I know.

Amtrak is leasing 4 NS GP38's for work train service. These units seem to be all over the place. They were originally stationed in Adams Yard, but now I see them in Philly-Wilmington, and 2 are sitting on the Welded rail train south of Bayview on A track.
  by SEPTAR3kid

Quinn wrote:Ballast train runs are back again. Just as it was back in Fall '09, they seem to follow train #393.

Tonight's was a quite a loooong batch of empty hoppers going out the quarry with #3030 leading and #3029 on the back end for the return. Haven't seen that pair before; usually a combo amongst 512, 525, 527, 575, 576, 578 and 720.
Have they been daily runs or are they still sporadic?
  by Quinn

SEPTAR3kid wrote:Have they been daily runs or are they still sporadic?
I only saw one about a week ago, and this one so far.
  by Quinn

Quinn wrote:
SEPTAR3kid wrote:Have they been daily runs or are they still sporadic?
I only saw one about a week ago, and this one so far.
Just an update: rolled out tonight after Train #387. Last week I saw 3029/3030, and tonight I didn't catch the lead but 3031 was on the tail. That would make up the 4 that Budd referred to as being leased for work detail.

Edit: the other diesel was 512, which I have seen previously. Both engines headed back to the city after midnight without any hoppers.
Last edited by Quinn on Tue May 25, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Quinn, Id say that they got an early start tonight.Haha. Its nice to see the stone trains running bak out to Glen Mills, and Amtrak doesnt have to get any more stone sent to Morrisville Yard anymore.
  by Quinn

It's a shame- the stone train is the most interesting thing I'm seeing out here! :-D (except for that special move to Lenni a few weeks back)
  by SEPTAR3kid

Quinn wrote:It's a shame- the stone train is the most interesting thing I'm seeing out here! :-D (except for that special move to Lenni a few weeks back)
Yeah too bad it only runs at night. We do get some special trains from West Chester every now and then though like the excursion they had last July for the Morton station dedication.
  by RCman2626

Look for another West Chester Railroad special excursion train this Fall. Can't release any details yet, but it should be a very unique excursion...:wink:
  by 60 Car

Stone train spotted tonight eastbound at Elwyn just as 393 was arriving at 23:45 westbound.
NS 3031 & AMTK 512 on the east end and NS 3030 on the west end.