Railroad Forums 

• B36-7s and the GTA24

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1631712  by Spur44

Hi guys! I was wondering, were all B36-7s delivered with the GTA24 alternator and Sentry wheel slip?

I was under the impression that came about in the mid 80s and that the early orders had the GTA11. Now I have doubts, so can anyone clarify what alternators were delivered for the following orders?

SSW 01/1980
ATSF 10/1980
Conrail 10/1983 GTA24???
SP ??/1984 GTA24???
SBD 02/1985 GTA24

Also, does anyone have load charts for the GTA24??
 #1631781  by Allen Hazen

I believe the SSW unit was the first B36-7, and was very much an experimental/test/demonstrator unit: I think the idea was to try out GE's last technology, which would have included Sentry and, I assume, the GTA 24. But I'm not sure. The "package" with the GTA 24 would also, I think, have included the uprated (with finer-toothed gears) 752G traction motors, so if you have a source that will tell you what the unit had as motors, that might be an indication.

Santa Fe's were the next. Somewhere, when they were new, I recall reading a remark by some trackside observer, suggesting that they (and the more or less contemporary GP50 units from that other builder) showed noticeable improvements in performance (particularly what they could pull climbing hills): again, suggesting the new technology.

So my GUESS would be that your initial impression was right, and that all US-built B56-7 (and C36-7) had the new generator and Sentry.
(There was one smallish order for C36-7 from NdeM early in the Dash-7 era: the units were built by GE's Brazilian subsidiary/branch. Those units may have been old-tech: I vaguely recall seeing somewhere the comment that the 36-7 line didn't really catch on until later.)
(There is also the 30-7A line: 3,000 hp from an FDL-12. I think the first big order was from Missouri Pacific for 50 B30-7A, and I think they had the new (Sentry) wheel-slip feature, which I assume involves the GT-24. MP had gotten three B23-7 units before that which were up-rated to 3,000hp, and may NOT have had the new system. On the other hand, Conrail's 50 C30-7A of 1984 seem to have had the GTA-11. Go figure.)

Apparently the GTA-24 was structurally similar enough to the GTA-11 that many GTA-24 were created by modifying GTA-11 generators. Which, given human beings, could I suppose led to some errors in record keeping...
 #1631782  by Allen Hazen

Ummm. Change the verbs in the first sentence of my previous reply to plural: SSW had four of these test B36-7: they were the first four of an order for 30 B30-7. They are described (by Marre and Withers, "The Contemporary Diesel Spotter's Guide") as "test-beds" for the B36-7. And, of course, GE may have been testing only SOME features of the new model. So I am not at all sure whether they had the new generator. (But if asked to bet, I would.)