Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

Rolling along rural Indiana toward South Bend on yesterday's number 7 from Chicago, the fall colors are definitely at their peak, and are an awesome sight to behold, particularly east of MC. At times during the ride, the train was bathed in varying hues of red, orange, and yellow. I couldn't have picked a better day to go railfanning, and for those of you that like fall colors, I would highly recommend this trip. Do it soon, though; from the looks of it, there isn't much time left before all of the trees are bare...

by PRRGuy

Too bad you didn't leave on 7 today, you'd have seen me at randolph st.
When I work at shops I drive on 20 into MC, the colors along there are quite nice also.

by Tadman

I have some pics from Dune Acres last saturday, as I stopped to wait for a train - the most amazing fall pics I've ever taken. I've discovered taking pictures of other things is interesting when one waits for a train - beats the hell out of staring at steering wheel of your car as you wait for a train...

Also, FYI, those of you that work for the RR that may recognize a guy in a black convertible railfanning along CSS - look no more - that black convertible took on a tree today and lost BIG TIME. I'm just fine, thank god.

by PRRGuy

Ouch...well I'm glad your ok. On the up side you'll be able to get a new(er) railfan vehicle. I just replaced my oldsmobile with an old police car. Quite nice. Perhaps you've seen the old one, it had a "Ride the South Shore" sticker in the rear window.

by doepack

Tadman wrote:I have some pics from Dune Acres last saturday, as I stopped to wait for a train - the most amazing fall pics I've ever taken. I've discovered taking pictures of other things is interesting when one waits for a train - beats the hell out of staring at steering wheel of your car as you wait for a train.
I know. I've actually gotten out of my car to take a picture of a passing train while stopped at a crossing, which is why I always used to try to keep my other (older) camera in the glove compartment. And what's funny is, I can feel the other folks in their cars staring at me while I get my shots. Doesn't bother me, though, because as railfans, you usually never know what you're going to see or when you'll see it, so it pays to be ready...