• Association of American Railroad consist on LIRR

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

truck6018 wrote:
onorclose7 wrote:It is a telemetry car.
It's more than telemetry. It puts a load on the rails both downward and outward to test the integresearch .
Truck6018: Thanks for the additional input: What is the outward test about?
  by truck6018

nyandw wrote: Truck6018: Thanks for the additional input: What is the outward test about?
Puts pressure on the running rails from the inside pushing out. While I didn't ask the technician specifically, my guess is it tests the integrity of the rails, mounting hardware, etc.

The brown box car is what houses the hydraulics. The research car has all the computers, gps, etc, along with a kitchenette, bathroom, shower, etc.
  by DaveBarraza

nyandw wrote:
DaveBarraza wrote:In LIC tonight.

Dave: I thought it was a model at first quick glance. :wink: Absolutely the "cleanest" LIRR yard photo, perhaps, I have ever seen. Thank you.
I have to vacuum to get my HO yard that clean!
  by nyandw

DaveBarraza wrote:
nyandw wrote:

Dave: I thought it was a model at first quick glance. :wink: Absolutely the "cleanest" LIRR yard photo, perhaps, I have ever seen. Thank you.
Is this "clean" environment due to the new households nearby applying pressure?
  by DutchRailnut

yes CSX via hellgate.
  by wintower

At 3:25p. this afternoon equipment was sitting in a siding/spur between the east and west mainlines east of Harold.
  by DaveBarraza

nyandw wrote:
DaveBarraza wrote:
nyandw wrote:

Is this "clean" environment due to the new households nearby applying pressure?
I know that some people were apparently able to rent apartments or buy condos without ever realizing that the 12 track rail yard across the street from their building would have trains in it.

I assume complaints about idling diesels and horns -claiming ignorance- are is the reason for the signs on the fence reading "FULLY OPERATIONAL DIESEL TRAIN YARD"

I'm not familiar with the sequence of condo-building versus yard-cleanup but I agree with you that there is surely a connection.

Most engineers seem very observant of the "length of horn signal proportionate to the speed of train" when giving rule 14L warnings at 11th and Borden. -which I think is considerate.

There was a night when they were dropping off ballast cars and there was thick fog right drown at ground level. The safest course was for the engineer to give louder, longer blasts - for the safety of the trainmen on the ground and for the Fresh Direct trucks crossing at 11th. It was late and I know people must have called 311 and complained. I wanted to walk back and forth with a sandwich sign saying "Why don't you try doing this yourself in zero visibility"

There's a great video where the local councilman is grandstanding about the noise on behalf of the yuppies, and they cut to the LIRR spokesman who just shrugs and says "we've been in this location for 150 years"
  by nyandw

"....There's a great video where the local councilman is grandstanding about the noise on behalf of the yuppies, and they cut to the LIRR spokesman who just shrugs and says "we've been in this location for 150 years"..."

Classic, made my day!! :-)
  by wintower

The equipment of there on Friday at 3:25p. when I passed by, but gone when I passed by again this morning at 6:15a.
  by freightguy

The AAR consist should be testing on Metro North for the next few weeks.