• ARTICLE: Six Arrested in Counterfeit Farecard Scheme

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by WMATAGMOAGH

From washingtonpost.com:

Metro Police Arrest at Least 6 in Farecard Scam

By Lena H. Sun
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, July 18, 2008; 2:40 PM

Metro Transit Police have arrested at least six people in connection with an elaborate farecard scam, officials said.

The thieves traded in counterfeit paper farecards in Metro farecard machines to receive legitimate ones, or used the counterfeit ones to add value to electronic SmarTrip cards, according to Metro spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein.

Metro is holding a press conference at 3 p.m. today to discuss the fraud and outline how new measures put in place today will affect riders with legitimate fare media. Metro is urging riders to buy their paper farecards and SmarTrip cards directly from Metro vending machines in stations, sales centers, or authorized Metro vendors.

"If you purchased your fare directly from Metro, these measures won't affect you," she said.

The fraud was discovered earlier this week but had been going on since early this year, Farbstein said. She said officials are still investigating and don't know how much it has cost the agency.

Farbstein said she could not provide details about the counterfeit or how the scam was detected because the investigation is continuing. But officials have singled out personnel in transit police, technology, and financial transactions departments. General Manager John B. Catoe Jr., who was scheduled to leave town earlier this week to attend a conference, cancelled the trip because of the fraud and subsequent measures Metro is putting in place.

Since Wednesday, transit police have arrested one person at the Judiciary Square Metro station, two people at Union Station, two people at Pentagon station, and one person at the Eastern Market station, she said. She declined to provide names. Several of the people arrested had counterfeit farecards in their possession, she said.

In response to the fraud, Metro reprogrammed its fare machines today to significantly lower the amount of money that passengers can trade in on used farecards. The maximum, which used to be $40, is now $7, Farbstein said. Although the lower amount may be inconvenient for riders, it will limit the agency's vulnerability, she said.

At the same time, Metro will be "turning off" SmarTrip cards associated with the theft. If the thieves have sold the counterfeit cards on the street and someone tries to add that value to a legitimate SmarTrip card, she said, Metro personnel will be able to track, in real time, when that transaction happens and will electronically disable the SmarTrip card.
  by Robert Paniagua

Geez, this isn't good for the METRO. A black eye it does not need, I hope they send them to jail for this rip-off.

In response to the fraud, Metro reprogrammed its fare machines today to significantly lower the amount of money that passengers can trade in on used farecards. The maximum, which used to be $40, is now $7, Farbstein said. Although the lower amount may be inconvenient for riders, it will limit the agency's vulnerability, she said.

Yeah, thats too bad that they now have to punish the good people now that due to this scheme, they'll have to refill their paper ticket much more frequently than before, but I have a SmarTrip Card just like the CharlieCard I have uphere in MBTA Boston, and I'm sure I should be able to put as much as I want on my SmarTrip Card. I also got it from the SmarTrip Card vending machine at Shady Grove Metrorail in May 2007, so I should be fine and not affected by the fraud.
  by realtype

This definitely sucks for Metro. But, the scam was pretty clever if you asked me--it's amazing nobody thought of it before (or perhaps they did without getting caught).

According to another WaPo article: The perpetrators cut the magnetic strips on the farecards into four different strips lengthwise, and then glued those strips onto four different farecard-sized cards. Therefore they would have quadrupled the amount from the original farecard. Too bad these clever minds weren't put towards something more beneficial to the community.
Last edited by realtype on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Sand Box John

"realtype"This definitely sucks for Metro. But, the scam was pretty clever if you asked me--it's amazing nobody thought of it before (or perhaps they did without getting caught).

According to another WaPo article. The perpetrators cut the magnetic strips on the farecards into four different strips lengthwise, and then glued those strips onto four different farecard-sized cards. Therefore they would have quadrupled the amount from the original farecard.

They have. I have known about this method for producing fraudulent farecards before WMATA first introduced their magnetic strip paper fare media. It was described to me more the 30 years ago that "you can counterfeit farecards with items found in a kitchen drawer". Because I know the physical layout of how the magnetic strip is written to I know of a couple of other ways to produce fraudulent farecards.