Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1634572  by NortheastTrainMan

Good time of day to whoever, whenever they read this.

I've been a fan of Metro-North's railroad for years, along with its "ancestors" (I used quotations, because it makes them sound ancient imo), New York Central, New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad.

Although I like the rolling stock and watching videos over the years. One thing that escaped me were names of the interlockings.

I'm used to the PRR's Northeast Corridor because that's what I grew up around. Most of their interlockings have names. Whether or not they're "official" or colloquial amongst railroad employees, I'm not sure. Nonetheless, it's easy to find names for them. For example, you can see MP 14.7 on the Northeast Corridor is also known as ELMORA. Even from passing trains, you can spot interlocking names with the trained eye (yes, I intended that pun :P )

When I look at Metro North track maps that I find on the web (since that's all I have access to), the interlockings are referred to as CPs (Control Points), but there aren't any names associated with them in the guides / maps I see.
This is the one I've been taking a look at lately -> https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ack-Charts

The only ones I know of are CP 5, which is Mott Haven Junction (Interlocking?) & CP 212, which is Woodlawn Junction.

Although I'd like to know, I'm not asking anyone to do free labor & list every CP's "name" in this thread. Ideally, I'd like to know whether or not I'm missing anything. If anyone would be able to assist, I'd appreciate it.
 #1634604  by Erie-Lackawanna

Here ya go:

Name Former Name
HUDSON LINE
CP 1 Tower U
CP 3 NICK; formerly NK
CP 4 BRIDGE; formerly DB
CP 5 MO
CP 6 MO
CP 8 none
CP 10 FH
CP 11 DV
CP 12 DV
CP 19 none
CP 25 OW
CP 26 Philipse Manor
CP 33 CR
CP 34 HM
CP 35 CD
CP 36 CP OSCA
North of here the Central designated the interlockings by their milepost numbers, as they currently are named.

HARLEM LINE
CP 106 MO
CP 109 none
CP 112 Woodlawn; formerly JO
CP 113 Mount Vernon West; formerly VO
CP 116 CP CREST; formerly RK
CP 117 CP WOOD; formerly RK
CP 119 CP SCAR; formerly CP CAR
CP 121 CP HART; formerly CP ART
CP 123 NW
CP 124 NW
CP 130 none (replaced CP CHAP at MP 32)
CP 136 none
CP 137 none
CP 143 CP GOLD
CP 152 CP BREW
CP 153 CP PARK
CP 154 CP RIDE
CP 155 CP DYKE
North of here all interlockings are new and were always named with MP numbers

NEW HAVEN LINE
(Prior to Penn Central, the NHRR named their interlockings (“Signal Stations”) with numbers; there are references online to the original numbers, but I don’t know what they were.)
CP 212 VERN
CP 215 none
CP 216 SHELL
CP 217 SHELL
CP 223 PIKE
CP 229 GREEN
CP 232 WEST STAM
CP 233 WEST STAM
CP 234 STAM
CP 235 STAM
CP 240 WEST WALK; formerly BERK
CP 241 WALK; formerly BERK
CP 243 none
CP 244 SAGA
CP 248 none, although there was an interlocking here until the early 1960s, designated SS 53
(none) BURR ROAD (replaced by CP 255, 2 miles east)
CP 255 PECK
CP 256 PECK
CP 257 CENTRAL
CP 261 DEVON
CP 266 WOODMONT
CP 271 \
CP 272 \
CP 273 NEW HAVEN
CP 274 /
 #1634927  by NortheastTrainMan

Jim, you're THE MAN. Many thanks.
We might not ever meet in real life, but I'll send you a virtual high five & handshake.