Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Ken V

RE: Possible to see stainless trainsets in the East?
ovondrak Administrator wrote: If I was to travel to Toronto or Montreal, would I be able to see stainless steel trainsets? Are the purple smoothside coaches used at all anymore?

~Otto M. Vondrak~
Railroad.net Creative Director
- Moderator New York State, Historic Conrail, HO Scale, and Photography forums.

Posted 7/8/2003 12:42:00 PM PST

Ken_V Moderator wrote: Yes it is certainly possible to see the stainless steel cars in either Montreal or Toronto. In addition to The Canadian (Toronto-Vancouver) and The Ocean/Chaleur (Montreal-Halifax/Gaspe) which have stainless steel consists, there are some trains which use them in the Quebec City - Windsor corridor. Most corridor trains sport LRC coaches but a few consistently use the stainless steel coaches and you can sometimes see a mixed consist.

There are also a few trains between Montreal and Ottawa and between Montreal and Quebec City which feature the Renaissance (ex -Nightstar) trainsets. The overnight Enterprise between Montreal and Toronto also uses Renaissance equipment.

The smoothside "blue" cars have mostly been retired with many now used on tourist lines throughout Canada and the U.S.. VIA only has a few left which are used in remote northern service between The Pas and Lynn Lake Manitoba.

-------------------------------------------
Ken V., Moderator: VIA Rail, GO Transit

Posted 7/8/2003 1:37:00 PM PST
ovondrak Administrator wrote: I'm hoping to document some stainless trainsets before the Renaissance fleet totally takes over. Thanks for the info!

~Otto M. Vondrak~

Posted 7/8/2003 9:41:00 PM PST

viafan Member wrote: Since November of 2000 I have recorded a number of consists for the Ocean as it has rolled through my community here - Miramichi. If they are of any value to anyone, I would be more than pleased to share them.

Posted 7/9/2003 4:35:00 AM PST
ghCBNS Member wrote: The first Renaissance Ocean should be in service by the end of July but there will still be two Budd Stainless-Steel sets, complete with domes in service for the next few months.

The Chaleur will remain Budd equipped and not be converted to Ren cars. It will also acquire a "Park" Dome Obs. The Ocean and Chaleur will still be combined between Montreal and Matapedia

VIA sent this monster Ocean (2500 ft long!) east from Montreal last Saturday night to position a Renaissance set in Halifax for crew training. Just as the train was to leave Montreal there was a CN derailment on the Drummondville Sub, its usual route. The Ocean detoured via Hervey Jct (line to Senneterre) on the north shore of the St. Lawrence River, crossing back over at Quebec City then on to Halifax arriving 7 hours late.

F40 6415
F40 6421
F40 6403
Baggage 8622
Coach 8147
Coach 8118
Coach 8100
Coach 8131
Coach 4100
Skyline 8505
Diner Kent
Coach 8105
Chateau Marquette Sleeper
Chateau Salaberry
Chateau Brule
Chateau Varennes
Chateau Laval
Chateau Closse
Dome Obs Waterton Park
Ren Baggage 7009
Ren Coach 7228
Ren Coach 7208
Ren Coach 7217
Ren Service 7314
Ren Diner 7400
Ren Service 7313
Ren Sleeper 7517
Ren Sleeper 7522
Ren Sleeper 7508
Ren Sleeper 7510
Ren Sleeper 7504

Posted 7/9/2003 9:00:00 AM PST

downbeat Member wrote: According to an article in Quebec City's Le Soleil newspaper, Via Rail will not be converting the Chaleur to Renaissance equipment.

(I've linked to another board to avoid cross-posting.)

No Renaissance cars for Chaleur

Posted 8/17/2003 10:54:00 PM PST

David,Mississauga Member wrote: The one trainset of Renaissance equipment, currently departing Montreal on Wednesdays and Saturdays, is being pulled for a two-month period for the purposes of "fine-tuning." The first day of the substitution of Budd equipment is Wed. Sept. 10th.

Posted 8/21/2003 3:28:00 PM PST

downbeat Member wrote: Hmmm... what kind of fine-tuning do you think it might be?

Posted 8/24/2003 6:29:00 PM PST
viafan Member wrote: I was talking with a sleeping car attendant last week and asked about the "tune up". He told me that it was nothing specific nor was there any major item - just a lot of little ones such as some doors not working properly or smoothly. just a number of little things. I think they may be reconsidering the configuration of the lounge/service cars as well to provide more seating.

Posted 8/25/2003 7:00:00 PM PST

downbeat Member wrote: I can see your point about the service cars. You can seat 48 people over two levels in a Skyline dome; you'll seat barely a quarter or a third in a Renaissance service car, though there is a bar-type area with lots of standing room.

Posted 8/25/2003 7:28:00 PM PST

David,Mississauga Member wrote: I also hope they will put more seats in the service/lounge cars. It sounds like the configuration is the same (12 seats) as on the Enterprise and the Montreal to Quebec trains. I guess most Easterly Class passengers will have to have their complimentary continental breakfast in their rooms if they are not amongst the lucky 12.

I was booked on one of the Renaissance trains that will have its equipment changed. I won't say I'm disappointed to be having a traditional train with Park car, but I was concerned about my accommodation. As the Ren. sleepers have only double bedrooms, Via gives a break in the fare for a passenger travelling alone in a "non-deluxe" bedroom. The surcharge for single occupancy of a double room in a Budd sleeper is quite hefty, but quite modest in a Ren. sleeper. (Halifax-Montreal is about $100 cheaper in peak season.) When the equipment change was gradually being put through Via's computer, I was concered that, as there are far fewer double rooms in a train of HEP equipment than in Ren., I might be downgraded to a roomette. There were two things I was looking forward to with the Ren. train: one was trying out the new diner and the other was having a reasonably priced double bedroom to myself - a rare treat.

I spoke with a very kind and knowledgeable Via agent in Toronto who noted on my file that I still wanted a double bedroom. The next day I had bedroom "B" in a Chateau sleeper confirmed. So I have received a very good deal. The peak summer fare was reduced by 35% by booking early at a Via Preference members special discount, and I still have my single occupancy of double bedroom at a modest supplement and a Park car thrown in for good measure.

Posted 8/26/2003 11:51:00 AM PST

ovondrak Administrator wrote: I'm looking forward to seeing a real Park-series stainless-steel obs. I think it's great what VIA has been able to do with stainless equipment- while Amtrak has junked nearly all of their hand-me-downs.

~Otto M. Vondrak~

Posted 9/5/2003 10:39:00 AM PST

MikeCDN Member wrote: I must applaud Via for their restoration / moderinization of the cars as they do look nice behinde any locomotive and are comfortable to ride in. Otto, you will appreciate these cars as they are used in regular passenger service, not some tourist train that goes from point A to point B and return with too many railfans cramming the train and standing by the tracks. My favourite cars to ride in are the spacious ones used on the Canadian, Chaleur and Ocean as they are roomy and one can sleep on two seats quite comfortably.

Posted 9/5/2003 10:11:00 PM PST
Last edited by Ken V on Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by AmtrakFan

Ken,
Thanks for the info. What did they do with the Enterprise Cars?

by Ken V

So far, nothing has been done with the two former Enterprise train sets. One each sits in the Toronto and Montreal maintenace yards awaiting reassignment.

by AmtrakFan

Ken V wrote:So far, nothing has been done with the two former Enterprise train sets. One each sits in the Toronto and Montreal maintenace yards awaiting reassignment.
Thanks Ken for the info here is a link to a Photo I took of an Enterprise set. Note it was too late to be the Ocean. http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/sh ... 500&page=1