Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by tj48

Couldn't get a real good look at this but I just saw what appeared to be a Metroliner cab car bracketed by 2 LIRR MP15's eastbound through Deer Park.
  by DutchRailnut

FRA geometry car T-16 ?
http://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/details/L03559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by tj48

That was it. Thanks. Heard the train first. When I looked up initially saw an LIRR MP15 and a stainless steel passenger car and another MP15 I thought 'alcohol train'. Then I realized I was looking at a Metroliner cab car but didn't have time to look for markings.
  by lirr42

The FRA Test Car has been roaming the system the two or so days. It sounds like it toured small branches yesterday and went out the Mainline today. It was running around sandwiched between two MP15's. I think 150 and 158 had the honors today.
  by gregorygrice

The FRA is touring all MTA Railroad Lines. The car came down on Amtrak 48 (LSL) a couple weeks ago and went straight to MNR via the Hell Gate Line. After 2 weeks on MNR, it's now roaming LIRR. It should run on every line, but with all the lines LIRR has it's harder to keep track of than when they ran on MNR. This is the first time the car has been back on MTA lines since 2010!

Here's video I got of it running on Metro North: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i-TInhxZB4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by DutchRailnut

T-16 was used on Metro North 3 times in last few months since derailment in Bridgeport, so your 2010 date does not jive.
last year at one point two FRA cars were running test on Metro North.
  by alcoAL

Saw it this morning at 10:30 on Central Branch in East Farmingdale headed towards Babylon. Couldn't make out any markings in the lousy rainy fog.
  by emfinite

DOTX 216 was on the North Engine Layup track in Harold as of 345pm on 2/21. Looks like it's leaving the Island.
  by Train2009

emfinite wrote:DOTX 216 was on the North Engine Layup track in Harold as of 345pm on 2/21. Looks like it's leaving the Island.
I saw it this morning.
  by djmarco121

Is the cab operational?
  by 4400Washboard

djmarco121 wrote:Is the cab operational?
Most likely not if the LIRR sandwiches it.
  by lirr42

tjensen wrote:Most likely not if the LIRR sandwiches it.
The FRA car probably isn't equipped with the LIRR's ASC system, so it can't lead on LIRR lines, hence why it was sandwiched. Just because it was bracketed doesn't mean it's cab isn't operational...it's just not operational in the LIRR's ASC territory.
  by 4400Washboard

lirr42 wrote:
tjensen wrote:Most likely not if the LIRR sandwiches it.
The FRA car probably isn't equipped with the LIRR's ASC system, so it can't lead on LIRR lines, hence why it was sandwiched. Just because it was bracketed doesn't mean it's cab isn't operational...it's just not operational in the LIRR's ASC territory.
Good point
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Got a cab ride on a Metroliner once, was going to washington and started chewing the fat with the Conductor. He invited me up. 120 on an MU. Coaches seemed much heavier then LIRR Mu's.
  by Backshophoss

Believe the cab is used as a monitor location while in testing mode.
Most of the controls for all of the on board gear would be in what was the cab.
it was bracketed by 2 units while on MNR trackage as well.