• Anybody remember the "jingle"

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by badneighbor

'trains broke down...here's your bus...
torn up seats and overflowed johns..'

by Long Island 7285

bad,

ill add it in some where lol

by Lupo 10

I love the line "Rugged-ridin’ oldies that shouldn’t be alive".... The MTA would NEVER admit to having old equipment to the public. That's pretty funny.

Would also LOVE to get my hands on some original souvineers. I know they have to exist out there somewhere.

by MACTRAXX

Dave: I remember the LIRR poem now that you brought it up-sometime in the 60s I presume? 7285-your update is neat-you are right on the money with it - just get your update in a lyric standpoint to be sung in rhyme by a rap artist for today in good measure! MACTRAXX

by Paul

I have always said that I feel Dottie is a ~~~HOTTIE~~~~~! She's all woman to me. BTW, If i can get a high res scan of Dottie, I may try to make her look her best. :wink:

by bingdude

I wonder if a tape of this jingle or the commercial is still around??

by Long Island 7285

MACTRAXX,

I tried to keep it to what i presume the origional toon be. how ever rapping it would fit in even better.

it would land on HOT 97 for a commerical ahaha.

I made that up the first nite i seen this thread posted.

by bingdude

Since Oscar Brand is still alive, and is on the web, I e-mailed him.

Yes he wrote those lyrics and sang them for the LIRR. The tune is an old folk song titled "Wait For The Wagon."

I will ask him if he has a copy of it.

HINT HINT ;-) if a certain RR museum were to ask him, perhaps he might bring his guitar out to Riverhead and perform it live.

by Long Island 7285

Bingdude,

Good going,

Thats a great idea.

by Jeffrey Rosen

OK, talking about jingles and emblems, heres a trivia question for you all:
On the LIRR trestle over Hempstead Avenue just before Jamaica Avenue there was a huge billboard advertising the LIRR in the 60's. Who remembers the 2 line poem. Hint: the first word was "traffic".

by Jeffrey Rosen

Right. That's exactly what it said in Queens Village on the trestle over Hempstead Avenue by Jamaica Av. I guess they had a few locations.

by Lirr168

Lupo 10 wrote: Would also LOVE to get my hands on some original souvineers. I know they have to exist out there somewhere.
Lupo,

Check out flea markets and things of the sort, you will be very surprised what you can find. I found a Dashing Dan sign sitting amongst hex signs in Pennsylvania about ten years ago; it set me back $11 (which was a lot for an 8-year old, lol), but I'm sure its worth a lot more these days!

by Lupo 10

Thanks. I have seen things here and there. I always check when I go to the train shows. I don't have the time for general flea markets and stuff. One of these days I'll try ebay. I'm the last remaining holdout in the world I think with a computer but no ebay account......LOL