Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

The bridge abutments on the Bronx River Parkway bridge allow for 4 tracks. There is tons of fill dumped down there. Look carefully, the wall is all the way back from the tracks. If you don't believe me, ask Howard Permut.
  by s4ny

The MTA is considering a multi level parking facility at North White Plains. If built, that would certainly make a case for 3 tracks all the way to accomodate additional trains.

This link has another link to a MTA newsletter that has a good map of the area and description of the parking proposal.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mta/planning/nwp/

by MN Jim

I'm not a service planner so I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that giving more people the ability to park at one station does not alone justify the multi-million dollar expense of building a third track for 7 miles. There is already capacity for additional service on the mid-Harlem, and frankly, we run too many 6-, 8- and 10-car trains to justify that - bump 'em all up to 12 cars like the LIRR and then see where you stand. If that isn't enough to serve the demand, then start talking about spending the taxpayers' money on a third track.

It probably bears repeating that there are currently no plans whatsoever to extend the third track to NWP. None.

Jim

by harmon44

The large parking lot at North White is owned by Westchester County and is Ajacient to parkland. Any garage is either going to have to make Westchester a lot of money or huge demand overshadows the NIMBY's.

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

The idea of building a parking structure at North White Plains is upsetting. As it is, about 40% of the vehicles at that station are from Connecticut. People from Connecticut use this lot to avoid the higher costs of commuting from Connecticut locations and the higher costs of parking at Connecticut train stations. Westchester residents can't buy monthly parking tickets in Connecticut, but these folks can come into New York, clutter up our already overcrowded roads and park in our lots.