• Any hacks/cabins/cabooses still in service?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Doc Emmet Brown

Was just wondering, are there still any hacks in service on the LIRR? I know they were still used for the occasional work train up until just a few years ago.
There are occasionally work trains that stay in the same location most of the day, or just move a few feet at a time as the work is being done.
Was wondering if they still have a hack or two for those situations.
Once upon a time on the LIRR...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MOxamrr ... re=related
Also, can anyone make out the engine number at the 105 mark?
Sounds a bit like 277
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZrzYJV ... re=related
  by 452 Card

As far as I know, all the hacks are O/S. Some were donated (or just given, to lose them) to RMLI. When we were using the ramp at Holban for the M7 deliveries, all the remaining ones were on 15A track by the wall. They were not being serviced, so it was taken for granted, since we no longer had freight that they were obsolete. I think NYAR has one or two, also.
  by nyandw

Doc thanks for the video! It's C420 227 in the video.

Image #227 at Pine Aire smokin' like an Alco!

This string of caboose (the 3 left hacks) were stored in Holban Yard south of Hillside Station; east of Jamaica. The LIRR #2 N5B, at right, is owned by the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum (OBRM) and was stored on the Garden City Secondary (GCS) at one time. The hacks in question were moved from the receiving yard to the Bone Yard (pictured here) west of the former roundhouse due to a dedication ceremony to take place for the new maintenance facility in the advance yard. 01/20/10 Sheridan Shops at Richmond Hill view west. Photo: Andy H. Info: Kyle Mullins

LIRR MP15-AC #153, Caboose N-5B #1 Garden City Sec 02/25/2007

LIRR required NYA to man the Stone Train Maspeth Yard 1997 LIRR #62 and #66(?)

Bay window – Renumbered C-62 – Became NY&A C-62 Photo: Steve Torborg c.1999

NOW: Image
ex-LIRR #C62 Louisville & Indiana Railroad (LIRC) #105 Photo Location: Jeffersonville, IN

NYA C66 Fresh Pond 1st Christmas 1997

Anyone with other C62 and C66 photos?
  by nyandw

LIRR's Caboose Fleet: 21st Century Status

#1 Twin Forks
#2 owned by OBRM
#12 Owned by OBRM
#14 Greenport RMLI
#29, at the Seashore Trolley Museum, in Kennebunkport, MA
C-50 OBRM.
C-51 is buried in the Babylon team yard.
C-53 Owned by Lindenhurst Historical society-Donated by OBRM
C-54, C-56, C-61, C-66 (to-be President's Car), sat idle in Holban for a number of years before being moved out some time ago, still on property although likely going somewhere.. [LIRR]
C-56 see above. [LIRR]
C-57 located at Schiff Scout Reservation in Wading River
C-58 was the one at TVRM, now owned by a well known LIRRer and housed at the Hoosier Valley Museum in Indiana.
C-60 to Twin Forks & restored, now at Transit Museum.
C-61 see above. [LIRR]
C-62 went to NYA and is now on LIRC as their 105.
C-63 to Twin Forks, Riverhead.
C-64 to Twin Forks, Riverhead.
C-65 also went to NYA and stays idle in Fresh Pond.
C-66 see above.
C-68 Riverhead RMLI.
C-69 is also on property, the only hack to receive reflective striping. [LIRR]
  by Teutobergerwald

I remember, almost always, there was always a hack in Hicksville Yard, Garden City Yard & Farmingdale Team Yard, back in the '80's.
  by JKTRR

There's a (ex) LIRR caboose at the Tennessee Valley RR Museum (Chattanooga, TN).....will look for slide view to determine number......(spotted, July 08)
  by LIengineerBob

Also, don't forget about one the ex-Long Island, ex-Illinois Central hacks used by the SIRT on Staten Island.
  by nyandw

JKTRR wrote:There's a (ex) LIRR caboose at the Tennessee Valley RR Museum (Chattanooga, TN).....will look for slide view to determine number......(spotted, July 08)

Hoosier Valley RR Museum North Judson, IN Photo: Mike Koehler 01-01-80

C-58 was the one at TVRM, now owned by a well known LIRRer and housed at the Hoosier Valley Museum in Indiana.
Last edited by nyandw on Fri May 06, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by nyandw

#38 Camp Pa-Qua-Tuck, Center Moriches

Long Island Rail Road Wooden Caboose No. 38 by Raymond Robinson, Jr.

Built: American Car & Foundry Co.
Lot : 9270
Class: N52A
June, 1922

Caboose #38 served the Long Island Rail Road from 1922 until the early 1960s. I thought it would be nice to have a caboose in my backyard and make it into a guest cottage. My friend, Lois Nickel, worked for the L.I.R.R. in the Jamaica office. She was the person who arranged the deal for $100.00. The freight brought the caboose out to Speonk and placed it on the team track, south of the main track.

I had arranged to have Bubby Williams of Eastport with his truck crane and John Stackiw of Riverhead, with Pete Danowski’s low-bed trailer, to get the caboose to my house, which was only about one tenth of a mile away from the Speonk team track.

On a Saturday morning, we all gathered at the site. I had made a sling, using steel cable, and attached it to one end of the caboose. Bubby raised one end, and I disconnected the brake rods and rolled the truck out from under the caboose. The next step was to back the trailer under the caboose, as far as possible, and then pick up the caboose and move it forward on the trailer.

A problem!!! The crane could not life the caboose. The railroad said that each truck weighed four tons and the caboose weighed four tons, a total of twelve tons. Apparently, it weighed much more than that. At that point, I decided to give up the idea, before someone got hurt!

I knew that Camp Pa-qua-Tuck, a camp for disabled children, in East Moriches was looking for a caboose. I donated it to the camp, in my father’s name: Raymond G. Robinson. He was a L.I.R.R. conductor and, in his early years, worked the freights.

The railroad moved the caboose to a side track in East Moriches . The camp arranged with a construction company in East Quogue to move the caboose to the camp site. The camp, after several years, rebuilt the interior of the caboose and made on big room out of it. Caboose number 38 still remains at the camp.
Ray Robinson, Jr. – December/2006

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/caboos ... s-4-72.jpg
Camp Pa-Qua-Tuck Center Moriches 04/72 Collection: Dave Keller

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/caboos ... a-Tuck.jpg
Cupola top Purchased from the LIRR for $100 by Ray Robinson. Currently at: Camp Pa-Qua-Tuck, 2 Chet Swezey Rd. Center Moriches, NY 11934
  by PW team track

C-60 at the Hicksville Freight Yard. April 1984. (150th Anniversary of the LIRR)

by hoggercom

I observed that string of hacks stored in the boneyard at Morris Park being moved out today.

Does anyone have any idea where they are headed?