Railroad Forums 

• Any CSX Evansville guys here?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1142620  by supernova1972

Anyone here running out of CSXs yard in Evansville, IN? I know a couple guys on here went to REDI last year and one was going to transfer. It looks like I can hold the extra board easy enough and was wondering if any guys were still here.
 #1247955  by Aspiring Conductor

supernova1972 wrote:Anyone here running out of CSXs yard in Evansville, IN? I know a couple guys on here went to REDI last year and one was going to transfer. It looks like I can hold the extra board easy enough and was wondering if any guys were still here.
Supernova;

I got through the on-boarding tasks and am awaiting a Class Date at REDI Center. I've been hired out of Evansville, Indiana. I don't know if that is who and/or what you're looking for. I do know that the Division Hiring Manager and the Trainmaster clearly stated, since it was difficult to hire and retain, qualified personnel out of Evansville, that being furloughed there was remote. After reading all the boards about furloughs, now I'm not so sure? I know that I want to work with CSX Transportation and I want to work constantly, getting the necessary qualifications and experience to be an effective member of the Howell Yard, so to ensure my retainability and thus keep my employment in good standing. Perhaps we'll run into each other sometime this spring?
 #1267534  by Bmattin1

i know this post is a few years old but Im working for bnsf in st louis and just put in an app for csx in evansville (I'm from that area) just wondering if theres a lot of spots there for new hires and why does no one want to stay working in evansville?
 #1272645  by cockerhamsg

I hear somewhere that Evansville, IN was in the top 10 of most boring cities or something like that. That might have something to do with it. That's all I've got though.
 #1272998  by COEN77

cockerhamsg wrote:I hear somewhere that Evansville, IN was in the top 10 of most boring cities or something like that. That might have something to do with it. That's all I've got though.
Is it about a boring city or making money? I know quite a few people that did temporary transfers to Evansville around 10 years ago. About half of them decided to stay permanently. If they went back home most likely they would of had to deal with furloughs for up to 5 years till gaining seniority. You can always drive or do a weekend get away (a pun seeing there are no weekends on the railroad) to a more exciting city. Nothing wrong with a boring city most times cost of living is cheaper.
 #1273338  by supernova1972

Sorry I'm just getting back here. I didn't transfer to Evansville, I got my transfer approved and got called back to Avon the next day lol. Evansville is still pretty busy and seems to turn a lot but that can change in an instant. As far as the city being boring, that's a matter of perspective. I grew up about 50 minutes north of Evansville in a really small town so it was the exciting big city to me. Now that I live in Indianapolis, it seems boring but it's a decent town. Low cost of living and plenty to do.
 #1274095  by Bmattin1

so supernova you think for new guys work would be steady in evansville? i just want to be closer to home but leaving a good company for another i know little about is nerve wrecking, and where are you from I'm originally from a little town called loogootee?
 #1275035  by Shirehorse

I'm a locomotive engineer out of Evansville, Henderson Sub side (HD, which runs south to Nashville).

There is plenty of work to be had in Evansville at the present time.

Just remember, the possibility of furlough will haunt you your first few years. I will say that it does get better and it IS worth it. Just don't buy any brand new cars and save a little for a rainy day and you'll be okay. We furloughed a lot of new guys for about three months this year, but a lot of it had to do with the backlog of traffic in Chi-raq due to weather and other stuff.

Come on and get you some while the going is good.
 #1275355  by Bmattin1

alrighty thanks for the reply i know how it all goes for new hires i got my app in i guess i ll see how it goes they keep reposting the evansville maybe they aren't having enough people apply
 #1286456  by walker33

I would like to know about getting rehired with CSX. I applied for a Freight Conductor position (Evansville, IN) May 2013 and was invited to a hiring session. About 2 days after going to the hiring session I received the call that I was hired. I passed my physical and the other test for this position. I had to call HR and let them know that I couldn’t accept the position because my fience’ back out of moving to Evansville. I have since left this person and am no longer engaged to her. Since then I have applied and reapplied for Freight Conductor positions with CSX and have not be selected. My question is can I ever be rehired or am I wasting my time?
Thanks in advance.