Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by lirrmike

I was reading through "New Haven Electric Locomotives & MU Cars" and there is a section about the NH class EF-1 freight motors. In this section it says EF-1 #077 was destroyed on the LIRR in December 1934, but no other details. Anyone have any information to the why's and the how's of this accident? Thanks.

Mike

by jayrmli

This may be the wreck at Albany Avenue on the Bay Ridge branch where the New Haven freight rear ended a LIRR work train who according to accident reports was not providing proper flag protection.

There is video footage of the aftermath of the wreck on the video "Train Wrecks Crashes & Disasters." (This tape also has footage of the Richmond Hill wreck as well)

Jay

by Howiew

jayrmli wrote:This may be the wreck at Albany Avenue on the Bay Ridge branch where the New Haven freight rear ended a LIRR work train who according to accident reports was not providing proper flag protection.
That was the accident which occured on December 4, 1934. The location listed on the ICC report is Vanderveer Park.
From reading the report, both crews shared some of the blame.

by lirrmike

Are these 2 accidents in addition to the one were a E33 let freight was derailed by vandals?

Mike

by Howiew

lirrmike wrote:Are these 2 accidents in addition to the one were a E33 let freight was derailed by vandals?
No....The accident above was one that occured in 1934. The one that you wrote about occured in , I believe, 1966.

by jayrmli

This accident was right in the vicinity of the Albany Avenue overpass. I believe it's right where the NYA has their Glenwood Mason (Brooklyn Mason) customer.

If I remember correctly, the LIRR work train was not providing adequate flagging protection and the New Haven freight was going to fast through the area.

Jay

by Howiew

jayrmli wrote:This accident was right in the vicinity of the Albany Avenue overpass. I believe it's right where the NYA has their Glenwood Mason (Brooklyn Mason) customer.

If I remember correctly, the LIRR work train was not providing adequate flagging protection and the New Haven freight was going to fast through the area.
That was it. You are correct about the cause. The ICC listed the location on the accident report as Vanderveer Park.
For the incidnet in 1966, I could not locate any ICC reports. I checked all of the years around 66, under both PRR and LIRR. If I'm not mistaken, the PRR owned the Bay Ridge Branch after NYS purchased the LIRR from the Pennsy. The line was maintained and operated by aggreement by the LIRR. I believe the line went back to the LIRR under Conrail.
Please correct if I'm wrong!

by jayrmli

Pennsy retained possession of the Bay Ridge line after the LIRR was sold to New York State. It was subsequently owned by Penn Central and Conrail and was sold to LIRR in the early 1980's (I want to say 1982 but I'm not sure of the date) when they were trying to expand freight operations.

Jay