Railroad Forums 

• Another BNSF question

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#126963  by raildog

I see a lot of BNSF realted questions, so I figure one more can not hurt. I am just trying to see other folks experiances.

I did the interview. (conductor)
I passed ear and eyes test.
The therapist said I did fine on the physical strength test.

Now what? I am in Pasco, WA, and I am (hopefully) hired for primary re-call in Ft Worth. I am from Ft Worth and my father is a carman at Allicance. (long story on how I made the interview)

I will have to move home in time for the first class. They told us in the interviews the 1st class is May 31st (coming up fast), and the 2nd is in July.

Do they give you time to give notice to your current job? Or is it one of those "your class is in 2 days, be there"?

I am not worried about the pee test, never done drugs.

After all I have done and passed, at what point do you have an idea your in? Is there something else that could go wrong? My application was honest and accurate.

Would it be a good idea to start packing? Or should I sit and wait and hope they give me time to get home?

I am pretty worked up over all this. It is the job I have always wanted, and it is back HOME with my family. Limbo just sucks!

Thanks for any replies or advice!
 #126985  by Avro Arrow

raildog wrote:I see a lot of BNSF realted questions, so I figure one more can not hurt. I am just trying to see other folks experiances.

I did the interview. (conductor)
I passed ear and eyes test.
The therapist said I did fine on the physical strength test.

Now what? I am in Pasco, WA, and I am (hopefully) hired for primary re-call in Ft Worth. I am from Ft Worth and my father is a carman at Allicance. (long story on how I made the interview)

I will have to move home in time for the first class. They told us in the interviews the 1st class is May 31st (coming up fast), and the 2nd is in July.

Do they give you time to give notice to your current job? Or is it one of those "your class is in 2 days, be there"?

I am not worried about the pee test, never done drugs.

After all I have done and passed, at what point do you have an idea your in? Is there something else that could go wrong? My application was honest and accurate.

Would it be a good idea to start packing? Or should I sit and wait and hope they give me time to get home?

I am pretty worked up over all this. It is the job I have always wanted, and it is back HOME with my family. Limbo just sucks!

Thanks for any replies or advice!
The exact same problem happened for me, too.

I wasn't told I was hired until 3 days before the start date--and I had to move to an entirely different city and find a place to live in that timeframe. What's more, I didn't wait for them to tell me I was hired--I had to keep calling the human resources guy over and over until he told me.

That's what I would advise you to do, too.

#127004  by raildog

i have heard of that happening, which is what i am afraid will happen.

i e-mailed lincol.recurter (pam) and asked he if she had any info, but i have not hear back.

#127065  by Avro Arrow

Don't email... call.

#127076  by raildog

Avro Arrow wrote:Don't email... call.
will do, i just didnt want to be a phone whore and bug them. i just took the physical thursday, and i know how those folks at noc operate, so i figured i would hold off till mid week next week. i have been to the noc, and know a lot of mechanical folks there, and fridays AINT THE DAY!
 #127097  by CSX Conductor

raildog wrote:Do they give you time to give notice to your current job? Or is it one of those "your class is in 2 days, be there"?
If you are that serious about hiring-out, and plan on making a career of rail-roading, don't be worried about short or no notice to your current employer. (I know this is not very respnsible, but you have to put yourself before your current employer).

I was worried about doing the same thing to the place i was working at before I went to the school for CSXT, but at the same time I knew that first off I really wanted to hire-out on the railroad because it paid more and better job security....and benefits. and secondly, they wouldn't worry about giving me no advanced warning that they were going out of business......so the heck with them. LOL :-) And guess what? I never looked back ever since going to the conductor training school, and my previous employer went belly-up less than a year after I hired-out with CSXT! :P
 #127278  by raildog

CSX Conductor wrote:
raildog wrote:Do they give you time to give notice to your current job? Or is it one of those "your class is in 2 days, be there"?
If you are that serious about hiring-out, and plan on making a career of rail-roading, don't be worried about short or no notice to your current employer. (I know this is not very respnsible, but you have to put yourself before your current employer).

I was worried about doing the same thing to the place i was working at before I went to the school for CSXT, but at the same time I knew that first off I really wanted to hire-out on the railroad because it paid more and better job security....and benefits. and secondly, they wouldn't worry about giving me no advanced warning that they were going out of business......so the heck with them. LOL :-) And guess what? I never looked back ever since going to the conductor training school, and my previous employer went belly-up less than a year after I hired-out with CSXT! :P
yeah, i was not real worried about the notice. it is what it is. it is the part of getting from WA state back home to TX i was worried about. my current job can kiss my butt once i know i am hired! like you said, if they were going to can me, they would not give me 2 weeks notice. but once they find out i am pretty close to being in with bnsf,they will can my butt anyway i imagine.
Last edited by raildog on Mon May 16, 2005 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #127573  by CSX Conductor

raildog wrote:but once they find out i am pretty close to being in with bnsf,they will can my ass anyway i imagine.
Well, if they did you would probably have a little law suit to bring against them. :wink:
 #127660  by raildog

CSX Conductor wrote:
raildog wrote:but once they find out i am pretty close to being in with bnsf,they will can my ass anyway i imagine.
Well, if they did you would probably have a little law suit to bring against them. :wink:
boy i tell ya what!

found out today, the acountant in our office grabbed the fax off the machine last week that inquired about my employment history. Now I am scared that BNSF will think I lied.

I work for a certain company that has several railcar shops across the US. I spent 11 years at one, and another up here. Well in the interview that told us to get online and update or info, or they will think we lied. So I did. Now, here comes the problem...

since all our companies are the same, i never thought to list the shop at home. I only listed the supervisor i have now. the EDIT that picked up the fax and read it, made some "corrections" on it. now i am scared BNSF will think i lied. i didnt! we are all the same, she is just a book worm and does not know the difference.

what should should i do? it was an honest mistake!
Last edited by raildog on Mon May 16, 2005 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#127716  by raildog

Post edited for content :wink: