Railroad Forums 

• Andy Byford joing Amtrak as Executive VP HSR: "Train Daddy"

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1631181  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:14 am Not meaning to talk politics here, but WHAT IF Joe is to leave Washington as a private citizen during January '25, would Amtrak afford, and the Secret Service tolerate, him a send-off with something like that?

I wouldn't place too many bets that the Aviellas will be in revenue service by then, but it would be a nice send off for a Former President who has been "a bit" pro-Amtrak during his term.

The train might need be Diesel locomotive hauled anyway and held to conventional equipment speed, but it would be a nice gesture.
"Private" but not really. I think he would have a detail with him. Not only that, his non-DC home is in Wilmington, and we already discussed the massive headache that would be having him taking Amtrak anywhere. He's flying home.
 #1631209  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf, Joe, along with the five living Former Presidents, which could still be five when Joe steps down, but let's not talk politics here, has Secret Service protection for life. Private, I meant, in that he would no longer hold public office.

Otherwise you are likely correct, Joe will fly and get home a bit quicker to have a love fest with Major and Commander.
 #1631229  by eolesen

electricron wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:42 pm At least he was using a scientific method to support his opinions, not just his whim like you.
Nah, I just lived in the DFW area for 14 years and worked in Houston for four... Having ties to both, I don't see the demand for 12 trains a day with 600+ seats each way. Big populations near each other doesn't necessarily equate into a good reason to try connecting them with 12 trains a day or spending tens of billions to do what hasn't existed since the 1960's.

But please, do keep talking about "scientific method" and data with zero context other than showing two cities in the same state.

Show me the context of why it's a good idea without saying or implying "people shouldn't drive their own car if other options exist" and perhaps also explain why it didn't happen over the last 50 years without saying the airlines fought it.

Here's my scientific data -- the terminal locations universally suck.

TCHSR "shopping mall site converted to a terminal" in Houston isn't near downtown or business districts... nor is it anywhere near the light rail network or the Amtrak station.

The terminal in Dallas is also not exactly ideal. It's planned for about a mile south on the other side of the convention center from the existing Amtrak station, although it might be close enough to the Blue/Red Line light rail to be moderately useful with a transfer at Reunion. Everyone loves three seat connections, right?
 #1631253  by WashingtonPark

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:08 pm Mr. Wolf, Joe, along with the five living Former Presidents, which could still be five when Joe steps down, but let's not talk politics here, has Secret Service protection for life. Private, I meant, in that he would no longer hold public office.

Otherwise you are likely correct, Joe will fly and get home a bit quicker to have a love fest with Major and Commander.
Let's just hope Major and Commander don't feast on the private security.
 #1631256  by R Paul Carey

As noted here, Byford places his priorities with the customers (riders), from which and by which he has earned wide acclaim.

Further, in his dealings with former Governor Cuomo, he has demonstrated principled management - at a personal cost that was not insignificant.

This announcement is a positive development.
 #1631329  by electricron

eolesen wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:08 pm Nah, I just lived in the DFW area for 14 years and worked in Houston for four... Having ties to both, I don't see the demand for 12 trains a day with 600+ seats each way. Big populations near each other doesn't necessarily equate into a good reason to try connecting them with 12 trains a day or spending tens of billions to do what hasn't existed since the 1960's.But please, do keep talking about "scientific method" and data with zero context other than showing two cities in the same state.
You obviously did not watch the youtube video i posted for City Nerd who explained his scientific "Gravity" modeling.
And while it is true it does not include every possible data point, it does show that his gravity model explains why Amtrak's NEC alone gets over a 50% market share. It not based on a whim pulled out of someone's person experience and prejudices.
As for the proposed terminal locations, both in Dallas and Houston, the options to extend the train further, even to Fort Worth and Galveston, are varied. They are still much closer to either's central business districts than the competing airport terminals.
But I am waiting to see if the new Amtrak VP actually moves any new HSR project along. I would be very disappointed if only NEC HSR projects are completed.
 #1631344  by west point

My problem with Texas Central is the Houston station location. Even if Amtrak extended the HSR to the present Amtrak station the station is located IMO in a difficult location being up against I=45. Going ~~ 0.7 miles east to the Downtown U of Houston location at Main Street seems ideal but I bet a station cannot be fitted in there with the necessary 2 platform 4 track station. That location would also connect with light rail.
 #1631374  by STrRedWolf

west point wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:04 pm My problem with Texas Central is the Houston station location. Even if Amtrak extended the HSR to the present Amtrak station the station is located IMO in a difficult location being up against I=45. Going ~~ 0.7 miles east to the Downtown U of Houston location at Main Street seems ideal but I bet a station cannot be fitted in there with the necessary 2 platform 4 track station. That location would also connect with light rail.
Simple solution: Move the Amtrak station to Burnette Transit Center/Casa de Amigos.

Seriously. You got enough room there to build four tracks/two platforms and have numerous bus/light rail connections. You may have complains from those in Hardy Yards, but extra connections plus ability to do local train service? Screw 'em. TRAINS.
 #1631398  by eolesen

Hardy Yards would be a better site, and moving the Amtrak stop might allow that segment of track serving the current station to be abandoned. There are no customers east of the station.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1631419  by GWoodle

Maybe the best route would be on FEC from Miami to Jacksonville. Have more stations for Daytona, Saint Agustina. Maybe have connection so a train from Orlando could end in Jacksonville.

Could be nice if service could be coordinated with Orlando trains. Maybe they could run something northbound every 30 minutes or so.

Coming from Britain maybe Brightline could buy some 2 or 4 car DMU units to provide more local service on their lines. These trains could male the local stops not covered by the Brightliners.