Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Wi-Fi (WiFi) Availability

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1638047  by STrRedWolf

RandallW wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:22 am The equipment is more like around $25K per car as these systems have ruggedization (vibration, air quality, temperature, mounting) requirements that do mean the hobbyist or consumer grade equipment can't be used since equipment built to those specifications would be needing constant replacement.

For example the Klas TRX R6 is considered competitively priced for the rail market with a list price of $23K.
$23K for tech that's 9 years old that burns power like an oven and does everything but the kitchen sink. I *really* want to see those ruggedization requirements now. Military grade laptops are spec'ed out for $5027 maximum according to PC Magazine Online, and that's 2 year old tech that by comparison sips power and still does everything but the kitchen sink.
 #1638049  by Ken W2KB

>>>SpaceX Vice President of Starlink Commercial Sales Jonathan Hofeller said:
7“As the first rail service in the world to adopt Starlink, Brightline continues to lead the way in the industry. We’re excited to work with Brightline and provide Starlink to their entire fleet, which will enable all of Brightline’s passengers to access high-speed, low-latency internet that is critical in our modern age – whether you’re finishing up work during your commute, staying connected with friends and family, or simply streaming a movie.”<<< https://railway-news.com/brightline-imp ... i-service/
 #1638051  by MEC407

I'm pleasantly surprised that it works at all, considering how difficult it must be to maintain a stable satellite connection from a train moving through urban communities.

5G (with fallback to LTE in non-5G areas) would likely be much faster, though.

A journalist from Florida recently tweeted his experience with the Starlink wifi onboard Brightline. These speeds are much lower than what I get with my Verizon Wireless service — and I'm using a six year old phone that doesn't have 5G.
Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 12.52.49.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 12.52.49.png (163.92 KiB) Viewed 479 times
 #1638074  by justalurker66

Tadman wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:24 pmMy employer provides all of the above but the antennae in a handheld phone does not do as good of a job as a large antennae that can be spread out in a 85' long passenger car.

Besides if this were the case, we wouldn't have buildings with wifi, just a bunch of people on their data plan. But we all know that's not the case.
My workplace is a building where wireless phones go to die. The construction of the building does a good job of keeping wireless signals from leaving the building. We tried an expensive wireless signal repeater system but it does not improve all carriers ... so providing Wi-Fi for those wireless devices is important for letting people use their phones.

I see the same issue in the Faraday cage railroad cars ... especially those that travel through rural areas where wireless service may not be 100% (despite the all shaded in maps provided by the carriers).
 #1638087  by west point

One factor in Brightline's favor. It has long stretches of straight track and the curves are rathe shallow which might enable proper electronic steering of the antenna.
 #1638783  by RandallW

STrRedWolf wrote:I *really* want to see those ruggedization requirements now.
It seems to me that most electronic equipment for railway applications (including computers) are built to meet the EN 50155 (link to UK implementation) standard. I can't find a free copy of this online (and can't afford to purchase it for leisure either). The AAR has recommended practices concerning electronics in rolling stock (also not freely available). From what I can glean from reading around these standards, computers intended for use in rolling stock has to operate in conditions consumer electronics do not, and needs to be tested (possibly to destruction) to be certified as meeting those standards.